Terror and Desperation

Nick's POV

This can't be happening. She's fine. She must be. Please, please let her be okay!

It's felt like hours but in reality, it's been minutes. I'm almost to the farm. I've kept Jay on the phone, and he refused to leave Spencer and go to the house but assured me the bull was nowhere to be seen.

The terror and sadness in his voice is breaking my heart. He went through this all alone because I wasn't there. I couldn't help him; I couldn't save her. I should have waited to go out to the store. Why didn't they tell us the bull was coming early? Why didn't Spencer wait until I was home?

Thoughts kept flying through my mind as I tried to focus on driving and keeping Jay calm. I could just barely see the ambulance behind me so at least they weren't far.

My mind was in a fear induced daze. Tears gathered and made my vision fuzzy. I'm not sure how I made it home.

My truck skidded into the drive as I raced towards the house. I could see a giant bull leisurely grazing on the side of the drive, heading down towards the river. Completely content and unaware or uncaring of the trauma he had caused. I had half a mind to plow into him.

I slow down as the house comes into view. I don't know where Spence or Jay is. I turn the truck off before it's even stopped completely. Yanking the E-brake and jumping out of the truck, my eyes scan frantically for my family.

"Daddy!" I hear Jayden screaming for me from the opposite side of the sheep enclosure. A trailer is backed up to the fence, the back door ajar.

He's running towards me, tears streaming down his terror-struck face. I scoop him into my arms and hold him tightly as I go around the trailer to find Spencer. I could hear the ambulance turning onto the drive.

The sight just about broke my heart. I withheld the sob bubbling up in my chest.

Spencer was lying face down, her head directly next to a large, wooden fence post. I could see blood trailing down her forehead and down her left eye. It matted her hair down. Her left leg was at an odd angle and she has cuts and bruises on her face and arms.

The sob forces its way through my chest. I gently place Jay on the ground, telling him to stay back, as I rush towards Spencer.

Please. Please. Oh god, please be alive.

Please!

Relief flooded my body as I saw her breath. She was breathing in short, harsh pants but it means she is alive. I wanted to see her face. I needed to. But I knew I couldn't move her.

I heard the ambulance pull to a stop, so I reluctantly left Spencer and lifted a scared Jayden into my arms and rushed to greet the paramedics.

"Over here!" I call to them frantically. Two paramedics rush towards me with a pack and a back board. Another ambulance and a police car pull up. I can see a fire truck pulling into the drive as well.

"What happened?" One of the paramedics asks as his partner kneels beside Spencer. He takes a quick set of vitals.

"I don't know. Jayden called me frantically to tell me Spencer wasn't waking up." I gesture to the toddler in my arms. "I was out running errands. He said the bull ran her down." The paramedics eyes widened a fraction.

Well, that does not make me feel better.

"Okay. We need to roll her over gently onto the board, but I need a neck brace first." The paramedic tells his partner who runs off to fetch it.

I bury Jayden's head into my shoulder as they roll her over. I don't want him to see this, but I couldn't leave. Tears were streaming down my face and I didn't do a damn thing to keep them at bay.