Stars

Hours pass by and the sun's light slowly started to fade, the yellow sunshine blending to the blue, nightly skies meant that the day is about to end. The group of Simba, and now accompanied by Rafiki, had their lengthy interactions. At this time, Rafiki was telling the tale of his time before Simba was born.

"No way, you held him up in Pride Rock?" Kovu said, astonished by the story of Rafiki.

"Yes, it is tradition after all."

"Bet you enjoyed that didn't you?" Kovu said.

"Yes, I certainly did. But it was not the first time I held Simba, even before he hadn't opened his eyes yet, I was allowed by the king and queen to-"

"Woah, okay let's not get in too much of the details, Rafiki." Simba cut him off as he started feeling uncomfortable and chuckled nervously.

"C'mon, Simba the story's just getting better." Timon said.

"This reminds me of the time I was still able to carry Simba. You remember that, right Timon?" Pumbaa asked.

"Yeah, come to think of it, I think Simba liked it more than you did, right pal?" Timon replied making Simba more uncomfortable and laughed with Kiara and Kovu.

"Okay, okay, can we move on now?"

"Kiara, you got anything to talk about?" Pumbaa asked.

"I do have alot to say but unfortunately my time's up. I gotta get back to Pride Rock." Kiara said and stood to bid them goodbye.

"We'll see you tomorrow I guess. Safe travels." Kovu reminded.

As Kiara walks pass her father, Simba had something to tell to his daughter.

"Remember, keep a safe distance between you and him. Tell us whatever happens back in Pride Rock and uh.... I love you."

"Yes, dad. You too." Kiara rolled her eyes over her father.

Kiara then set off to her journey back home.

"Love you!" Kovu said as Kiara walked away.

"Love you too!"

Simba was slightly taken aback by what Kovu said as he rarely hears him say it.
The sun had already set, the stars slowly became visible as the orange colour of the sky fades to a dark blue. Kiara was nearing Pride Rock. She sees Makosa near the entrance to their den. It would seem that he was anticipating something or someone. She had no way to avoid him. She climbed up Pride Rock and met Makosa up top. She avoided eye contact and quickly but subtly slip pass him.

Makosa noticed Kiara was taking precautions on evading him. It was not a surprise to him, though what surprises him is that the scent of Kovu. He smells it on her, and it smelled recent. It raised a brow for him. He thought that Kiara might be seeing him. An idea came to his mind and decided to patrol the entire kingdom tomorrow morning to check if Kiara was seeing Kovu or someone else. For now he called it a day.

As Makosa walked to the entrance, he saw Kiara on the left side of the den. As Kiara closed her eyes, Makosa thought to sleep beside her. The idea of his brought a sinister smile to his face. Meanwhile in the opposite side of the den came Nala, he noticed the look on his face directly aimed at her daughter. Nala stepped up and blocked his path.

"What do you think you're doing?" Nala intervened.

"I was about to sleep." He lied and tried not to look obvious.

"So you weren't just about to take my spot and right beside Kiara?"

"No."

"You stay away from my daughter, understand? Don't think that I don't know what you're doing. I'm not that stupid." Nala growled at him.

Makosa remained silent, showing no fear to Nala's statement. She walks past him and lies down next to Kiara. He again slept on the middle of the den. Nala knew that he wanted more than Kiara being his queen. It was no surprise to her, but it was still a concern.

Hours pass and the moon was shining high, above the nightly sky along with the stars. It indicated that it was midnight. Timon and Pumbaa were dozed off and so was Kovu. Moments later Kovu heard quiet mumbling. It interrupted his slumber and made him look around. His surroundings were fairly dark but the moon provided enough light to allow him to see. He saw Simba sitting upright and his head pointed at the stars. Kovu knew alot about Simba but this was the first time for Kovu seeing him like this. It confused him for a moment but soon got the idea as Simba continued to talk.

"I wish you were still here....."

Kovu quietly stood and slowly walked up to him.

"Hey."

"Oh uh.... Kovu.... I didn't know you were still up." Simba was startled for a moment.

"I should be asking that." Kovu replied.

"Well, I was just star gazing that's all."

Kovu then sat beside him and thought have a little talk.

"Couldn't sleep?" Kovu asked.

"Yeah. And you?"

"Actually you woke me up. Who were you talking to?"

"I was talking to the great kings."

"Really?" Kovu said in disbelief.

"It sounded like you were talking to someone specific."

"Alright, you got me. I was talking to my father." He confessed.

"Which one? There are alot of stars out tonight." He joked.

"You rascal. He's somewhere up above, watching over us." Simba chuckled and nudged him.

There was a short moment of silence between the two until Kovu had the courage to ask something personal.

"Do you miss him?"

"I do. I miss him everyday."

"I wish I could relive the time I've spent with him. He'd play with me, give me pouncing lessons, tell me to be my best." Simba continued in a rather depressing tone.

As Kovu heard Simba's past experiences, he couldn't help but feel envious of him, as he did not have any similar moments as such.

"Sounds like he really loved you. If only I had someone like that." Kovu said, although being sarcastic, it was bothersome for him.

Simba could see through his sarcasm and knows that he's bothered by the fact that he didn't have any memorable childhood, not that his childhood is worth remembering anyway. His past was so much worse than his and he felt sorry for him.

"I'm sorry that you had a terrible past. Just remember we're here for you. Nala, me and even Kiara." Simba comforted him.

"No it's alright, I'm over it." Kovu laughed it out.

"That's the spirit." Simba playfully nudged him.

"Promise that you'll be right beside me right?"

"Yes, Kovu. I'll be watching over you and Kiara, always."

As Kovu laughed,  Simba knew that he didn't quite understand what he was trying to convey. He hesitated to tell him that he won't always be there with him and that he has to move on. Just like how his father, Mufasa told him. Instead he just went with it and let him find it out for himself.

Simba knows that his time could end at any moment but he wasn't concerned as he knew that his legacy is secure with Kiara and Kovu. For now, as he is still young, it's best to make the most of it.

END OF CHAPTER