Pathway

The following day has arrived. The sunrise recently risen from the horizon. The area around Simba and Kovu's cave was still moist, indicating that rain was falling all night. Simba was still under, apart from Kovu who already left.

Kovu was stalking a hare. He crouched near to the ground, almost undetectable to the his prey. Kovu had slowed down his breathing to avoid detection and refrained from moving a muscle. He patiently waited for the perfect moment to suprise and pounce on his prey.

The hare remained vigilant, scanning its surroundings. Kovu was waiting for it to be distracted. The hare thought that it was safe, that's where it's wrong. It then continued minding it's own business, which was an advantage for Kovu.

Kovu was locked on and he could spring out any moment. The only thing he needs to wait for is for the hare to turn around. Moments later, the hare had turned its attention somewhere else causing it to turn its back on Kovu. Perfect moment. Kovu jumped from the ground and claiming his first kill for the day.

Meanwhile, back at Simba. He started to feel the heat of the sun on his face. The sunshine irritating his face caused him to wake up. He slowly got up and shook his mane. He yawned and looked at his surroundings. From what he could see the place they're in was peaceful. Birds chirping, light wind blowing by, and the reflection of the sun bouncing off of the water droplets on the grass. A good way to start his morning.

Simba then started to wonder where Kovu is. He stood up but yet again his injury put him back down to the ground. He repeats and managed to endure the pain and got up. Simba took his first steps outside the cave.

Simba stood in an open area but not far from the cave. The sun was rising in front of them, the direction of north was to the left, since the Highland Pride is to the north. Since his return to the Pridelands, his mother, Sarabi had given him the basics of being king. Every law, every tradition, every routines and customs of every animal present in the Pridelands and of course, the directions of their neighboring prides. Sarabi knew all of it through her years of Mufasa.

"Hey, good morning." Kovu came in carrying a hare in his mouth.

"Oh, Kovu. Startled me there for a sec." Simba replied.

"Got you something to eat." Kovu said in a muffled tone.

"Thanks, much appreciated."

Kovu set the hare down on the ground and let Simba eat it for himself. It wasn't much but it was the only thing he could find.

"Aren't you gonna eat anything?" Simba asked.

"No, I'll take a bite once we get to where ever this Highland Pride is."

"You sure? We still got a long way to go."

"I'm fine. You're the priority of this journey, not me."

"That's very selfless of you, Kovu." Simba chuckled.

"Yeah, yeah."

Moments later, after Simba had his meal, they continued on with their journey. It's a good thing Simba still remembered the directions to the Highland Pride, even though he haven't exactly been there, the directions was given by his mother Sarabi. From what his mother told him, to know when you've reached the Highland Pride, is when you cross a river with strong currents and has a distinct pathway.

"So, how do we know when we're there?" Kovu asked.

"When we cross a river." Simba answered.

"How do you know when it's the right river?"

"From what my mother told me, it's a river with a pathway."

"Still doesn't answer my question, almost every river has a pathway."