Small, Good Moments

Moving over to Kovu and Simba, their journey to the Highland Pride has already started. The distance they've made has already been far as well. It's safe to say for them that they are out of the Pridelands' boundaries. Though their concerns with their "new visitors" have passed, the bigger issue for them is the open wildlife. A huge risk for a lion leaving his or her pride even if their absence is temporary, is the chances of survival. Alot of things can happen in the open wildlife, and the drawback is you can't ask for help. Everything can hurt you, the water, the things you step on, the weather and of course other animals as well, especially other predators.

Both Kovu and Simba have their concerns of them being in the open, but their confidence, determination and of course obligation overcome them, especially to Kovu since he is more experienced and well trained in these certain types of scenarios. Once made to kill, now made to protect.

Kovu thought that his main purpose in the journey of theirs is to protect Simba at all cost. Not only because he cares but also that knows his directions and he has the most experience in interactions between prides, or atleast he thought so. But either way, he thought that it's better to be alive than dead, even if they come back with nothing.

Simba on the other hand had seen better days. Although he could walk normally, a slight pain for every step he did was irritating for him as the leg wound of his wasn't completely healed. The leaves wrapped around his leg done by Rafiki was nearly, completely stained with his own blood, which was a sign that it needed to be changed. He regretted that he should've asked Rafiki earlier before they have departed. But it was no use coming back, they have already gone too far.

They have strolled far into the savannah, crossing forest after forest. The sun has started to set and the weather started to change as well. At first it was cloudy, now it was expected to rain as the heavens above them spoke. Every minute the rain started to fall slowly, and lightly. Moments after the rain has officially started. It wasn't anything serious, it was a light shower with a few flashes of thunder. Overall, it wasn't something to worry about.

Kovu was quick to react, prioritizing Simba, he had planned some things that would come in a timely scenario like the rain.

"Hey, why don't you sit under a tree for a while, I'm gonna find us a place to settle down." Kovu insisted.

"All by yourself? No, no, separating is a terrible idea, especially out in the open." Simba reasoned.

"Trust me on this, I'll be back before you know it. Go make yourself dry." Kovu once again insisted, moments later he sprinted away.

Simba wasn't only concerned of how they're in the open, he's also worried for Kovu and his safety. He cares for him. And so now that he's the one who needs assistance, Kovu was the one always present and ready to assist without anything in return. He rested under a tree for a while nearby. While the tree didn't exactly make him dry, it was still better than under the rain.

With every passing minute, the sun slowly takes away the light from the land, and as his surroundings get darker, the more he became anxious of Kovu.

"Where are you, Kovu?" He thought in concern.

The temperature was dropping as the sun slowly set on the horizon. But through the sound of water droplets hitting the leaves of trees and grass, he hears a call.

"Simba?!" Kovu called.

"I'm right here!" Simba responded.

The sound of footsteps approach him, and Simba saw Kovu soaked. He expected good news.

"Come on, we gotta move, I found a cave we can stay in for the night." Kovu said while panting.

With no time to lose, Simba stood and walked with Kovu. Although Kovu wished for Simba to walk faster, he took his injury to consideration and instead moved at the same pace as Simba's.
Momentarily, they arrive at the cave that Kovu found. It was small but large enough to fit them both. They shook the water from their coats and started grooming themselves.

"Sorry it took so long, also I couldn't find anything to eat. It was getting dark out and I couldn't leave you behind." He said.

"It's alright, you still got us a place to stay dry." Simba replied.

Simba frowned a little with the thought of Kiara being alone.

"What's wrong?" Kovu asked.

"Nothing, I just hope Kiara and Nala are doing alright."

"Don't worry, Kiara's persistent, like her mom. Pretty sure they can handle anything back in Pride Rock." Kovu reassured.

He chuckled. "It's strange that you somehow manage to know Kiara and even her mother personally."

"I was shy of you back then, I felt safe around them. Not until you came along and gave me lectures."

"Yeah and you started warming up to me and we got... this." Simba chuckled and gestured their current situation with his paw.

Kovu and Simba chuckled softly as the rain continued to fall. Unfortunately after their light-hearted and uplifting moment, Simba had his frown once again.

*sigh* "I feel useless."

Kovu thought to cheer him up again but it was expected that he had more to say and so he remained silent.

"This is my fault, I should've thought about it first before I fought him."

"It's a heavy feeling to carry on your shoulders. You're the king and you're expected to lead, to be the best. You're expected so much and that you have to show them your courage, bravery and authority. To make them think you're perfect. But then again, no one is perfect, you're gonna have some flaw one way or another." He continued.

Kovu continued to listen to every word he has spoken whilst empathizing with him. Kovu thought that this may be valuable information to take in as someday it happen to him in the future once he has replaced Simba's role as king.

"Seeing the disappointment on their faces gives you a heavy feeling. You lose a part of their trust. It's much worse when there's no way you can make it up to them."

"Now look at me. Everyone in Pride Rock thinks I'm dead. I've let everybody down, I've even risked their lives. Especially for Kiara and Nala. I feel so useless." He concluded.

"You're not useless to me." Kovu replied.

"You really think so? Even though I'm the reason behind all of this?"

"For starters, I've never had a father, and you're the closest one I have to that. And that doesn't make you useless."

Simba gave a warm smile to Kovu and the weight of disappointment suddenly disappeared. He was touched by his words.

"Come here." Simba asked for a hug, and Kovu inched closer to him and received it.

It was nice for Simba that Kovu now has a connection between them that is similar to a son and father's relationship. Simba loved Kovu as like son, and Kovu loved Simba like a father. Kovu had come so far, once an assassin now an official heir to Simba.

Although they're situation was not something to be glad about, it never hurt anyone to have a heartwarming moment between a son and a father.

END OF CHAPTER