STARTING ANEW (19)

Picture of Dami above☝️☝️

Dieko

"Thank you, sir." I tell the bald headed man sitting beside the counter as he hands me the nylon filled with provisions.

I don't know what's with Nigerian mums, they never like when you're resting or pressing phone, they must always find work for you to do. If it's not washing plates, it's sweeping the house. If it's not sweeping the house, it's going to buy something. Now that I think about it, we have a help, why has she been sending me on all these errands?, what is Ayo for then???.

I turn around to leave when I bump into someone hard, I groan when I see who it is.

"Don't tell me you followed me here too."

"Of course I didn't, I came to buy something from a shop nearby then I sighted you." He winks.

I scoff. "Stalker, that's what they always say, please stop sighting me and start going your way."

I step out of the shop with him following closely behind me. He lets out a deep chuckle.

"I still can't believe you're here in Lagos, when did you get here?."

"It has not been that long sha maybe about two or three months." I shrug.

"What about Dorathy, Ike and Makin?."

I hiss loudly. "It's Dorothy, Ife and Akin."

He bursts out laughing, what's funny?.

"Shebi it was that Akin boy that you liked?, both of you were always together, doing love love."

"Are you mad?, who was doing love love?, he was my best friend...is my best friend." I correct myself. Akin is still my best friend, right?.

"Whatever. Do you keep in touch with them?."

"Obviously, you think I'm like you." I eye him.

He's silent for a while.

"So that's what this is about." He suddenly says, "You're angry that I left and never called or anything."

"Way to figure that out, genius." I give a sarcastic smile.

"It wasn't my fault, days after I left Abuja, I went to a concert with my brother and someone stole my phone, that was how I lost everybody's number, even your own, I'm sorry." He explains.

I don't think he's lying, he doesn't look like he is.

"I've heard." I sigh, "But that doesn't mean we are friends again."

"Nawa o." He laughs, "This your shakara is too much sha."

"You''ve not see anything."

"You know, now that I think about it, I don't even know why I forgot that Ike girl."

"Ife." I sigh exasperation, why can't he remember her name??, simple three letter words. I-f-e.

"Yeah that, the girl had big bumbum, how could I forget her?."

"Ahan." I shove him, "Come, I thought you left in JSS3."

"I did naw."

"Jesus!, so in JSS3, you were already scoping babe, shey?."

"No naw."

"Shut up, how did you naw know her bumbum was big, infact ehn." I stop walking so he catches up with me so we are now walking beside each other, "God knows if you've been scoping me since you've been walking behind me."