STARTING ANEW (35)

Picture of Dieko above ☝️☝️

Dieko

"Gosh, I'm so happy they allowed us to come shop here, most of those meetings are so boring." Bridget whines.

"Shebi it's you that paid to come." Nmeso laughs, "Nobody forced you."

Bridget eyes Nmeso before walking away.

We're currently in Ceddi Plaza, the school allowed us to come have some fun here even though we were under supervision and we were to leave at exactly 4pm and it's currently past 1 so that means less than three hours to shop, me I don't even want to buy anything, maybe only edible stuff, I don't think I want to buy clothes.

"Why are you just standing here looking?." Timi wraps his arm around my shoulders.

"Nothing, I don't feel like buying anything."

"Why?, I thought you girls liked shopping and all."

"I actually do, I'm just tired." I shrug.

He chuckles. "What did you do that you're tired."

"I don't even know, I sha don't feel so happy."

"Awwn, cutie." He coos pinching my cheeks.

"Stop that." I laugh, "I think I'll just go to the icecream store upstairs."

"Okay, talk to you later."

"Yeah." I smile before ascending the stairs next to us, I get upstairs and walk up to the counter.

"Good afternoon." I greet the pretty young woman at the counter, she looks in her early twenties.

"Hi dear, what flavor do you want?." She looks so pretty

"Erm." I look at the different flavors of icecream, "Red velvet and Vanilla, medium sized cup."

The woman hands me my cup of icecream after telling me the prize of the icecream, I pay her and turn around to walk away but my eyes are on my cup of icecream so I bump into someone, a man.

"I'm so sorry sir, I-"

I'm unable to finish my sentence when I see who is standing in front of me, it's like all air has been knocked out of my lungs.

"Diekolola." My dad calls.

"D-dad." I croak out.

"O ti pe ti mo ti ri e (It has been long since I've seen you)." He pulls me into a tight embrace.

"I-i-" I struggle to form actual words as I pull away, "Are you still with that woman?."

"You mean Folake?, Of course I'm still with her, she's my wife, she put to bed some months ago, you have to meet your brother soon."

"He's not my brother." I deadpan, "I only have one sibling and she's a girl."

"Don't be like that, Dieko." He makes to hug me again.

"Don't touch me, you didn't even care to look for us after you left."

"Your mum left me a note, she said she was done, that she didn't want me to look for you girls."

Tears brim my eyes. Is he being serious right now?.

"Even though dad, you could have made an attempt, to show that you still care about us."

"Are you girls staying in Abuja?."

"Why do you care?, You don't have to know where we're staying."

"Emi ni baba e Dieko, O le ba mi soro bayen (I'm your father Dieko, you can't talk to me that way)."

"I have to go now, my teacher will be looking for me." I lie, it's not time to go back to the hotel so I knew Mrs Nwachukwu wouldn't be looking for me yet but I needed to say something to get him off my back.