CHAPTER - 22

NIA'S POV

I just entered my workplace, I got late today because Brainy made me a little extra food. Okay not little, a lot extra and I had to pack all the food and place it in refrigerator and now I'm pretty exhausted. I didn't even get a chance to visit tower before coming to CatCo.

I just entered the floor where I work as a reporter and I heard people whispering about something. They were not even paying attention to their work, they were just busy gossiping. I made my way to the main area where all the desks of the workers are. I saw people giving me weird eye contact but I didn't bother to look at them.

I placed my handbag, latte and some files that were work related on my desk. My eyes wandered around in the search of my best friend Kara. Then I located her, she was sitting on her desk and her eyes were fixed on the work placed on her desk. I decided to say ' hello ' before I start doing my work. Just when I was about to reach her desk I heard some sniffing and I looked hard at Kara's face.

I saw her puffed eyes like she was crying for some time now. I slowed down my pace of walking towards her desk. " Kara ? ". I asked in a slow voice but still in a questioning tone. But she didn't even acknowledge my existence and kept doing her work like her life depended on it. " Kara ". I said in a little raised voice and still she didn't even pretend to hear it. " Kara ! ". I said in a higher pitched voice and this made her groan. " Will all of you stop calling my name ? ". She asked before she looked away from her work and towards me.

I raised my eyebrows in question but I sensed some tension in her voice. " What happened to you at this early hour ? ". I asked after letting out a chuckle but she glared at me which meant that it wasn't funny but I still wanted to lift her mood up. " Are you going to tell me the reason or are you just going to glare at me ? ". I questioned her but only met with her silence as an answer.

I heard some slow sniffing which came from my best friend who was sitting beside me. Something serious is up with her because she has never felt this down and especially at our workplace. " Kara what happened to you ? ". I asked her while nudging her slightly. " Something happened before you came here ". She whispered which led her to cough to clear her voice.

I made her to stand up from her place, she got all confused by my sudden change of behaviour. I dragged her and our belongings to the elevator. " What are you doing, Nia ? ". She whined like a kid but I didn't answer her question. I took her to the nearest café and motioned her to take a seat beside me on the table. " So what happened ? ". I asked after we ordered our favourite donuts and some coffee.

She raised her eyebrows at my question and chuckled a little bit. " You dragged me all the way from CatCo just to ask me what happened there ". She said and I just shrugged. The point behind all of this was that I knew that she was not comfortable talking about what happened in that place. "Soooo ? ". I asked again and I seemed a little bit more interested in the topic than before.

She sighed and started explaining what happened. " William brought me flowers and chocolates which gave others a wrong impression that we are dating or something. I told him that we are only friends and stop bringing me these type of things but instead of understanding he was angry with me. We had a heated argument about my feelings for him and... Mon-el. He said somethings that cut me deep and I sort of think that now we are not friends anymore ". She explained the events that happened before I came to CatCo.

I listened very carefully until she finishes her story and it was my time to give her advice. " What did he say ? ". I asked after taking a hold of her hand to show that I will always support her. " He said that Mon-el will never love me and the person I love is married to someone else and I still have feelings for him is just stupid ". She said which again brought tears to her eyes.