Power of a Name

Disclaimer: I do not own the art, characters, nor the franchises involved in the story. They belong to their respective owners.

Hokage Mansion

Hiruzen chuckles softly at the question, thinking it would've been a far more serious question.
  "From what I know, Naruto offered you that name because lightning struck the ground out of nowhere upon your arrival, and if you remember correctly there wasn't a storm cloud in the sky that day. The name itself is that of a god, a god of lightning, thunder and storms. Seems fitting to me, as you arrived after a lightning strike and have caused a storm since arriving here in Konoha." Raijin nods his head in understanding, but holds back his urge to say that there is only one god, that being the Emperor, but he has quickly come to realize that this world he is in is nothing like the one he had left.
  "Who knows, maybe when Kurenai tests your nature transformation you will truly have lightning as your release." This statement still catches Raijin off guard, as he still has no clue what this 'chakra' is or even how to use it.
  "Sir, I am still not understanding something. What is chakra?" Hiruzen has to stop himself from coughing, as he has never had someone ask that question before so it caught him off guard.
  "Chakra is the very life essence of being a shinobi, my young friend. Shinobi control it for their abilities and it is apart of our way of life, which will soon be your way of life if all goes well." The explanation is detailed yet vague at the same time, but it is enough for Raijin who does not question the explanation further.
  "Should I have this... lightning release, will madam Yuhi be able to train me with it?" Hiruzen knew this question was going to be asked, he wanted Kurenai to be Raijin's initial sensei to get him through the Chūnin Exams, but depending on what his release would be, he would possibly have to be given to another sensei for teaching. Should his release be lightning, Hiruzen knew that Kakashi would be the one to teach him in the ways of using lighting jutsu, and if he is talented enough, Raijin could create his own in time should he have the dedication and put in the work.
  "Unfortunately, lightning release and lightning jutsu are not the forte of Kurenai Yuhi, however, they are the speciality of Kakashi Hatake, whom you already know. Kurenai is your sensei to train you and make sure your are able to complete missions before the Chūnin Exams, if all goes well you will be able to call yourself a Chūnin soon enough." Raijin actually bows his head to the old man in respect.
  "I am... grateful you are doing this sir, you could've very well exiled me or had me killed and I would not have disrespected your authority." Hiruzen places his hand on Raijins shoulder, giving a firm squeeze.
  "Like is side before, you have great potential, I see it. Despite where you come from, you will prove yourself worthy of wearing that headband around your arm, far more worthy than its previous owner. Go forth, Raijin Krieg, go forth and prove yourself." Raijin bows his head respectfully once again, turning to walk towards the door, he stops once again as Hiruzen's voice calls out.
  "I almost forgot to mention, that Kurenai will be arriving here tomorrow to escort you to the training ground for Team 8, I suggest you get a good nights rest." Raijin nods his head before walking out of the room, walking down various staircases he reaches the hallway leading to his room. Entering his room he closes and locks the door for the night, he walks over to the desk and sets his lasgun, las pistol and bayonet on the desk, while his pack sets beside the desk. Slowly he takes the rest of his gear off, leaving him in only a pitch black combat shorts, walking over to the mirror he finally looks at himself outside of his gear in what feels like forever. Scars are littered across his body, everything from small cuts to full on stab wounds and burn marks that have scarred over. Despite this, his body is muscled and lean, as the Death Korp have a strict training regiment in everything imaginable, weapons skills, hand to hand combat, explosives and much more. He runs a hand along the scar on his face, remembering how he got it, an artillery shell had landed in front of him during one of the various campaigns he served on, the explosion ripped apart the man in front of him and sent bone shards and flesh shooting everywhere. One of the shards ripped through the mask he originally had, he scavenged the one he currently wears off a dead comrade.

Turning away from the mirror he walks to the bathroom the room has to offer, knowing the basics of how it all works he gets a quick shower, quick as in 5 minutes, no more and no less. Finally bedding down for the night after the shower, he lays in bed with the las pistol laying directly beside him with his lasgun within arms reach. Unknowingly to him, when he had stripped down earlier and when he got out of the shower, he had an admirer, a peeping Tom, this person being one Anko Mitarashi. Her friend Kurenai spoke of how this new stranger acted and what his face looked like, but she was curious about much more than that. Sitting covertly on the tree limb by his window, she could not help but blush and giggle. Now that he was laying down for the night, she made her escape into the darkness, fully intent on telling Kurenai of her findings, despite her friends ongoing dating with Asuma Sarutobi.

The next morning

  Kurenai is walking down the hallways that the Hokage said she could find Raijin's room on, finding the room she was about to knock on the door, but the door opened before she could as Raijin stood in the doorway, full gear on with all his weapons and equipment.
  "Don't you have any other clothes?" She honestly does not think he does, but believed it was better to ask than to assume.
  "I have sufficient undergarments in my pack, but if you mean my actual uniform, then no I do not." Kurenai sighs and shakes her head with a small chuckle.
  "We'll have to fix that, are you ready for today?" A nod is what she receives in return, with that both of them walk down the hallway, leaving the building and heading toward Team 8's training area. Raijin himself is still silent, making her wonder what exactly he's thinking as she doesn't know him well enough like the rest of her team, he is entirely a mystery.

Team 8 Training Area

  Kurenai and Raijin arrive early, as she intended. Deciding to test her teams tracking capabilities, as they stand right now, she looks at Raijin who is standing in the shadow of one of the various trees.
  "Raijin, care to hide yourself the best you can? I wish to see where the team stands in tracking abilities as of right now." She gets a silent nod from him as he disappears into the brush, she sighs to herself as she thinks he will be easily found when she asks the team to look for him.
  Minutes pass before all three of her genin students arrive, Kiba at the front of the group as always with Akamaru resting on his head, followed by Hinata and Shino.
  "Good morning my students." She gives them a small smile.
  "Good morning sensei." All three respond with the same amount of respect, she looks at all three of them and is surprised that Hinata is the first to speak."
  "S-Sensei, isn't Raijin supposed to be here?" Before she can speak, Kiba speaks allowed in agreement with his team mate.
  "Yeah, where is he? He's supposed to be apart of the pack yet he's not here." Kurenai chuckles a bit as she gestures to the woods around them.
  "He's here, he came here with me before you showed up, he's out there in the woods. I want to test your tracking as a team, so I had him go off into the woods, your mission is simple, follow his tracks and find him." Kiba puffs his chest up and chuckles.
"Too easy." For once, Kurenai thinks she'd have to agree with the Inuzuka, Raijin hasn't learned enough yet to evade a tracking team, nor the tricks of the trade, she felt bad as she was literally using him as a test monkey but she had to know where the team stood when tracking, and where he stood when it comes to evading capture.
  "Go find him." She small smirk as the team takes off to find him, she watches them disappear into the woods, she hears a clicking noise behind her and immediately turns around. To her amazement and even shock, Raijin stands before her leaning against a tree.
  "What're you doing, I told you to go into the woods and hide." Kurenai was about to speak again, but was cut short by Raijin, as he started to explain what he did.
"I lead them on two false trails, one I personally left a bit of my blood on to drive the scent further, while the other one I laced with non-lethal traps to keep them tense and off balance. How I came back around, was that I took a western approach off the one false trail, effectively creating three trails with only one being the true trail. My unit had to do that plenty of times while digging trench lines and fortifications, specifically building traps and false defensive lines to lure the enemy into false hope of victory." Kurenai was honestly surprised, she thought he would've been found within the first few minutes of the team dispersing, but here he was telling her he had made false trails and non-lethal traps to throw her team off guard. Something she has seen before, it's a trick that rarely worked on seasoned tracker shinobi, but one that would definitely work on a team or genin.
  "You're full of surprises." Kurenai says with a small laugh.
  "I have to be, if I wish to prove myself."