These Colors Don't Run

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the art involved in this story, they belong to their respective owners and franchises, all I own is my OC.

This chapter is gonna be different, this chapter is gonna be a down and dirty lore chapter. This chapter is gonna explain who the Death Korps of Krieg are, a bit of their history and why Raijin is the way he is. I am mainly doing this for those that really don't know  much about Warhammer 40K, and I hope you will find it interesting, and I'll try not to bore you.

The Death Korps of Krieg

   Originating from the world of Krieg (no surprise there), the Death Korps of Krieg is an elite Imperial
Guard that is renowned for their elite usage of siege warfare and attrition warfare tactics. They have been known to go to planets that have been under siege for years and break the siege within a few months or less, depending on their resources and supplies. However, they were not always the Death Korps of Krieg, they were something much different. Before they became the Death Korps, their world was a vibrant and growing place, with good trade and commerce with the wider Imperium. This would all come to change as the ruling class of Autocrats decided they no longer wished the influence of the Imperium on their world, thus they sparked a rebellion.

  Those still loyal to the Emperor and the Imperium were lead by Colonel Jurten, but they were besieged in the hive city of Ferrograd. No help would be coming anytime soon, so they were ordered to resist with any and all means available to them. Jurten alongside his Mechanicus Adept, located a mass storage facility within the depths of the hive city.

What kind of mass storage?  You may ask.

A mass storage of ancient technology weapons, nuclear weapons to be exact. Jurten unleashed these weapons upon the rebels, turning Krieg into a radioactive wasteland that could be considered the love child of Chernobyl and the Fallout Universe. The launching of the nuclear weapons evened out the war zone for both sides, leaving them on equal footing to fight against each other in this new hell on earth. Where most of you may think the civil war/rebellion was ended quickly after this, you would be very wrong. The civil war on Krieg lasted 500 years , yes that is true, the civil war in Krieg lasted for another five hundred years before it finally came to an end with the Imperial Loyalists being the victors of the civil war. Unfortunately, because of the nuclear devastation the once commerce rich world of Krieg was nothing but an ashen shadow of its former self, they had nothing to offer the widen Imperium... Except troops, weapons and vehicles. During their 500 year civil war, the arms industry of Krieg became the new industrial complex for the entire planet. That in mind, when the Departmento Munitorum came knocking and only asked for one regiment, to say there were shocked would be an understatement. The officials on Krieg sent word back that they had twenty regiments ready, trained and equipped to the sent to the most hazardous war zones they Departmento had to offer.

  The men of Krieg did not disappoint whatsoever, and because of this the highest tithes and the resources to keep up with such demands were given to Krieg, so that they may keep producing soldiers and equipment at a continuous basis. The world of Krieg was officially reclassified as a 'War World', where it's sole purpose was to churn out regiments and equipment for the Imperiums war zones across the galaxy. You may wonder how they are able to keep producing soldiers, the answer is Vitae Wombs, which in my own words are basically artificial wombs to create and birth soldiers at a continuous rate, the closest example I can give is like the clone facilities on Kamino in Star Wars. These soldiers of the Death Korps are born and created to be soldiers of the highest caliber, even there training is extreme compared to others and can result in the deaths of many recruits, as they practice running through live artillery barrages amongst many other things that would seem crazy. Trained to feel no emotion other than their duty to the Emperor and the destruction of the enemies of mankind, the Death Korps of Krieg are considered the elite of the elite amongst Imperial Guard units. Serving in the deadliest combat zones the Imperium has and using their tactics with efficiency. The men of the Death Korps are so fanatical that the commissar assigned to their units have to actually try and keep them under control, rather than what they usually do which is to imbue with zealotry, amongst the Death Korps there is no need for it, as they are as devout to the Emperor as the ecclesiarchy itself.

How does this play into Raijin?

  Raijin himself is one of soldiers I mentioned that is created via a 'Vitae Womb', meaning he has no mother or father and was strictly created towards the war effort of the Death Korps, hence he has a number when first met and not a name as he was truly never given a name. Belonging to the 261st Siege Regiment, Raijin saw a lot of combat before his death on Vraks, where his regiment itself was destroyed and the survivors spread out amongst other regiments. Raijin is a Kriegsman down to his very corp, loyalty is absolute in his mind, hence his reactions to missing nin who he sees as nothing more than scum. Despite not being within the Imperium anymore, Raijin is still devout to his beliefs in the Emperor and believes that the Emperor put Raijin in the Land of Fire for a purpose, what that purpose is has yet to be seen. Slowly but surely, Raijin is discovering emotions he never knew he had, the conditioning and constant years of warfare have turned him into a stone cold professional killer, that will attack an enemy with no hesitation.