Promise - Part 5

Evgenia stumbled into the guest room the crew was staying in. It was a lavish room, large enough for all of them to sleep in.

When the witch had arrived for bedtime, she found her friends not sleeping. They were all sitting in the center of the room, chattering on the floor. It was a moment of free bliss, forgetting the ominous threats of war that is soon to come.

Omis was asleep, curled up at the bed Evgenia had claimed.

Evgenia stood there, silently watching over her friends who hadn't noticed her at first.

Momoko giggled as Bella braided her long hair. Bella gently combed her fingers through the jet black hair, twisting the sleek hair into a long braid. "Have you ever though about cutting your hair?"

Momoko shrugged, "So many times before. But, it's sort of my village's culture to have long hair."

"Shinki Village, right?" Minerva asked, "I've always wanted to see their fireworks. I heard it's beautiful."

Momoko nodded, smiling wide with a slight blush, "Uh-huh, Shinki is such a wonderful kind village. I feel bad for being such a bad spirit to them."

Evgenia sighed, quietly walking to her bed. She leaned down, gently petting the large wolf. The creature's ears twitched as she ran her fingers through the soft fur.

Adva spotted her at last, the necromancer waved their hand, "Evie! Come over here!" They scooted over, patting the spot next to them. Evgenia looked back and forth between her bed and Adva.

After an awkward moment, Evgenia slowly sat down next to Adva.

"So," Minerva turned to Evgenia, "What do you and Victor talk about?"

Evgenia took off her hat, setting it beside her. She pushed her bangs back, face staying stern. "Well," She began, "Victor and I were... just talking about stuff."

"Stuff?" Momoko raised an eyebrow.

"Our parents," Evgenia muttered, looking away from her friends. Her friends fell silent, knowing the strange relationship the Wisp siblings had with their parents. The witch shook her head, "It wasn't anything bad. We were just... thinking about visiting them soon."

Minerva and Adva shared a concerned look. Bella tilted her head curiously at Evgenia.

Momoko pouted at Evgenia, "When?"

Evgenia shrugged, "Don't know."

Minerva rubbed the back of her neck, her brown hair tickling over her pale hands. She frowned at the witch, full of worry. "Aren't they in Renaisse? Wouldn't that be dangerous?"

Evgenia stayed quiet. She knew it was dangerous for a mage to go into Renaisse at this moment. But... She and Victor needed to see their parents. Victor missed them. And Evgenia... Something bothered her.

Something wasn't right.

"We'll come with," Adva offered.

"No," Evgenia shook her head, "Me and Victor are fine on our own."

Momoko scoffed, "As if we're going to let you two go on your own into a dangerous territory. We have your back, Evie!"

"Yeah!" Bella finished the last bit of Momoko's braid, dropping the hair gently. The bard smiled at the witch, there was a light of determination and courage in her eyes. It was... strange seeing that coming from Bella. "You've always been there for us when we were in trouble, let us do the same!"

"Guys," Evgenia sighed, rubbing her temple, "I'm not going on a mission that'll kill me. I'm just visiting my parents."

"Still," Momoko pouted, crossing her arms stubbornly, "Parents are scary!"