Until Next Time - Part 19

Evgenia kept looking at the note, rereading it over and over.

She couldn't believe it. No spell had to be made to open the book this whole time.

And they found an answer. Not the answer they were looking for exactly. Her parents were practically making them go on a wild goose chase.

There really is a way to destroy the Moonstone. But the answer lies on Rune Island, home of the elves. Elves... they hate humans. They've been isolated far longer than Icier has been. There's a magical border closing off their land from others.

Evgenia frowned at the writing, the word ingrained forever in her head.

Rune Island is near Arcadia's bays. It was still a distance away from the kingdom but nothing the crew can't handle.

However... there seemed to be a problem.

The crew was split.

No one wanted to say it, but they all knew that not all of them were going to Rune Island.

Evgenia looked up at where Adva was. The crew had returned to the inn, staying one last day there. The necromancer was standing at the window, staring out of it in deep concentration. Ever since they found out they would have to go to Rune Island, Adva's been awfully quiet. They've been wearing a nasty glare, anxiously biting their lower lip.

There was a dark glint in their eyes.

The others didn't ask what was on their mind.

Thinking about it, no one actually knew Adva's past. There wasn't much room lately to think about it. But... who was Adva before they became "The Laughing Necromancer" of Arcadia?

Adva was half elf, according to them at least.

There was a past that the necromancer wanted to keep hidden.

And it seemed they weren't excited at all about seeing their homeland.

Evgenia looked over at where Minerva was, the knight sitting in a chair and polishing her sword. The knight was wiping vigoursly at her blade, the shine of the metal glistened from the peeking sun.

Minerva's mind was running with anticipation. Mostly worried anticipation. The Nascentia Rebellion was an ally they desparetly needed. If they had a group within Renaisse itself then Faust really would be a cornered dog with its tail between their legs.

Plus, the Rebellion sounded like they knew quite a bit about the prophecy. If there was something they could do to analyze the prophecy and find a solution to the war, then victory will be at their doorsteps.

It was a brilliant plan.

Evgenia sighed, her face turning to see Victor reading their parents' book. He had a faint smile on his face as he calmly read. Her brother was enjoying reliving good times of their childhood through the words of their parents.

The witch looked away, staring back at the note of Rune Island.

There was the deal. If Irene helped open the journal, then Evgenia would let the woman mentor her.

At first Evgenia wasn't sure of the older witch being her teacher.

But... Evgenia realized Irene wasn't a threat. The woman, as strange and weird as she was, was a powerful mage. Although she had the markings of dark magic, Evgenia just had a hunch there was more to the mage than darkness.

Irene had a smile. A soft kind smile that felt warm. The woman was a graceful goddess that had a trail of mysteries behind her.

If those mysteries meant that Evgenia could better her magic, then maybe it was worth learning under Irene.