Promise - Part 8

The wagon skidded down the dirt road as Evgenia hurried them down. Victor held onto the sides, shouting at his sister to slow down.

"Eve, what's wrong?" He looked at her, seeing how wide and terrified her eyes were. She must've seen something otherwise she wouldn't be freaking out like this.

Evgenia didn't say anything.

Alongside them, Omis ran with them, keeping up with the running horse.

As dust and dirt flew up from the wagon trails, Minerva looked behind them. They had left Shinki Village and were running down the road.

Bella yelped as the wagon ran over a rock, causing the cart to jolt. She fell over, nearly falling out. Adva caught her, yelling at Evgenia to slow down.

The witch gulped, pulling on the reins and listening to Adva. Lucy skidded to a halt, whining in a tiresome matter.

Evgenia panted, gasping for air as her eyes wildly looked at her lap. Victor reached over, touching her shoulder. She shrugged him off, glaring at the road ahead.

"Evie," Momoko said, "What happened back there?"

"I saw it," She said quietly, the others could barely hear her. She ran a hand down her face, stopping and covering her eyes. "The rings."

"Ring, what rings?" Minerva frowned.

"Our parents' rings... She had them on a chain," Evgenia said shakingly. Victor's face dropped.

Their parents'... rings?

"No..." He muttered, "That... That can't be-"

Minerva crawled over, telling Evgenia, "Let's hurry then! Your parents, they could be in danger!"

Evgneia nodded, taking the reins again and making Lucy go.

Victor cleared his throat, "I think I remember a shortcut, though it's been awhile. The shortcut will have us avoid any villages."

That was the best option, they didn't want to run into anyone who could get them in trouble.

...

The shortcut really was a shortcut.

They didn't bump into any village or town either.

Victor pointed ahead, "Take a left and I'm sure the house will be there."

Evgenia took a sharp left, nearly bumping the wagon into Omis.

Squinting, Victor excitedly said, "Look, I see it!"

The crew leaned ahead, spotting a small house in the distance.

It looked like normal small cottage in the middle of a field, a vast forest was behind it. The cottage only seems big enough for a small family, nothing suitable for witches.

Evgenia hurried the wagon.

She froze, halting Lucy in a sudden moment.

There they were, back home.

And the first thing the crew noticed was that... the front door was loosely hanging from it's hinges.

Evgenia and Victor looked at each other in fear before jumping off their seats at the same time. Omis blinked, staying behind with Lucy as the others followed the siblings.

"No no no," Victor muttered worriedly, rushing over to the cottage. He was the first one there, quickly heading inside. "Dad! Mom! We're... home."

Inside the cottage, was actually what could be a large mansion of sorts. There was a large wide staircase and plenty of doors. It was so much larger in side, a better fit for witches with a reputation.

Though... it was a mess.

"Oh shit," Evgenia said. She covered her mouth, eyes flying everywhere at the chaos that was left in the house.

There were cracks and holes everywhere, in the walls, floors, stairs... everywhere. Doors were flown open, thrown off their hinges and collapsed on the floors. Paintings were scratched apart, ripped beyond comprehension.

Paintings... paintings their parents took pride in restoring.

Every magical artifact the Wisp siblings could remember in their home was gone now. Furniture was thrown around, broken beyond repair.

There was an eerie aura as they all stared at the biggest thing in the room.

Rocks. Large jagged dark rocks, resembling spikes, protrude through the floors. There was trails of blood everywhere, and judging from how brown it was... it's been a really long time. But there were bloodstains anywhere they looked.

Books ripped open were stained, ripped armor and clothing was stained, the floors and walls. Everything had dried blood.

But it was nothing like the feeling. The feeling of death.

Adva could feel it the most.

This was more than death.

They could feel the torment and pain, like a soul was ripped out.

"Fuck, fuck fuck fuck-" Evgenia pressed her head, her breaths becoming short and shallow.

"Eve-" Victor choked out.

"What... What happened here?" Bella asked, knowing it was a stupid question to ask. But it had to be said.

Victor quietly looked around the silent home, feeling nothing but pain and horror. His parents were... He froze when he spotted a familiar object.

The crew watched him, aside from the panicked Evgenia, as Victor walked a bit. He bent down, picking up a long white scarf.

"Dad-" He felt the hot burning tears. The tears dripped down, hitting the scarf that was full of dust.

Victor remembers this scarf. He had gotten their father this scarf for his birthday. From that day on, their father always wore this scarf.

"Let me see that," Evgenia said, walking to her brother's side and holding a hand out. She had such a scary look, determined but full of anger. "We're going to see what happened here."

Victor's eyes widened in shock, "You- you can't be serious? That spell?"

She nodded, "I used in back in Icier. Though it was brief. But I think I can make it last longer, just enough to know the truth."

"The spell of Historia... You actually did it?" Victor clutched the scarf, it was still soft even after all this time.

The spell of Historia... a spell named after the witch who created it. It allowed the user and anyone present to see past events in their current location as long as they have an object from that exact moment.

Their father's scarf...

Victor nodded, carefully handing the scarf to his sister, treating it like a lost treasure.

Evgenia let out a shaky breath as the scarf landed in her hands. Looking back at her friends, who were speechless, Evgenia inhaled deeply.

"Let the light guide the forgotten,

Let the darkness calm the memories,

With heart and mind,

Let us see what must be seen."

Her eyes shot open, light pouring out as the scarf glowed a purple hue. It floated gracefully in her hands as the light from it twisted around the room.

The crew gasped, watching as the light casted an illusion around the house.

This time... This time, they could clearly see. See everything that was happening.

And the first thing they saw, was two people. A man and a woman.

Vincent and Diane Wisp, their parents.