Promise - Part 7

The crew was rushed into the building, finding the inside very barren. It was the village's inn. There were a couple of servants idly cleaning, mostly wearing worn-out uniforms.

The old man sighed, sitting down in a rigid chair. Mori's bones creaked as he settled in, resting the cane between his legs. Hinata quickly went to her grandfather's side, worriedly checking to make sure he was alright.

Evgenia frowned, even the inside of the building was dull. Whatever happened to the cheery village?

"A lot has happened since you left," Mori said, smiling gratefully when a young servant gave him a glass of water.

Evgenia asked, "What happened?"

The old man sighed, scratching his bearded chin. Stressed wrinkled dragged from his eyes as he sadly contemplated his words. Finally, he simply answered, "His Majesty took away our mages."

Of course...

"We didn't even have that many, only around ten," Hinata bitterly said, scowling at nothing in particular. She gritted her teeth, "They took away everything magic related as well... There's been anti-magic laws implemented in the countryside."

Evgenia and Victor shared a worried look.

Their parents-

"My home," Momoko hastily said, "What happened to it?"

Mori coughed, making Hinata nudge the glass of water to him. The old man drank, Hinata gently rubbing his back.

After drinking, the old man answered, "His Majesty heard Mt. Momokona was the home of a spirit. He came here searching for you, fortunately you weren't there."

"But- my-" Momoko covered her mouth, eyes widening.

Mori shook his head, "He took resources from your mountain."

"We tried to stop him," Hinata stated, hands shaking violently, "But... That only ended in lives from our village being taken."

Momoko choked, turning away to hide her crying. She walked away, hugging herself.

The crew could only watch her.

King Faust was going to take Momoko as well. If she wasn't with them, then she'd be... No, that can't happen.

Something bugged Evgenia however.

They said King Faust took resources from Mt. Momokona but... last time she checked the mountain was dying.

Unless... Oh no.

Evgenia gulped, "Momoko." The spirit slowly turned to her, eyes red and swollen. The witch bit her lip, hesitating in her words. Momoko needed to know. "He wasn't there to take your resources."

Momoko closed her eyes. Quietly, very very quietly, the spirit said, "I know."

At that moment, everyone was hit with the realization of King Faust's true intent on destroying the mountain.

It wasn't for the greed to get resources.

Momoko shakingly said, "If I die, I can't come back."

Unlike Idris, who's oasis was said to be the most beautiful in all of Scarabia, Mt. Momokona is nothing but a mountain of emptiness. If Momoko suffers death, then she can't reincarnate back at her home. She'll be gone... forever.

Most likely it was an act of wrath and malice from the king. A message telling Momoko- no, all mages- that no matter what, death will await them at the end of this tale.

Mori coughed again, making Hinata hand him the water again. The woman brushed her long hair back, turning to the crew briefly to say, "You can't stay here, the Royal Alchemist is coming here very soon to do a check up on the-"