Intermission - The Final Chapter

The walls of the underground lab were dreary, darkened by the sins of the king. Faust looked around the lab. It was vacant, no mages were trapped in the cells. All of Joana's belongings had been moved to her private quarters.

Faust looked over at the center, the glass capsule that used to hold the all-powerful Moonstone. Now that stone was on him, posing as a decorative brooch.

He walked down the stairs, making his way to the glass capsule.

He's had time lately to himself. Time to rethink his life.

In his pursuit of power for his kingdom, he fell somewhere. Faust's memories were strangled, hazy at times as well. Whenever he tried to recall any moments of past happiness, his mind only clouded with the anger of the mages trapped in the Moonstone.

They cried out, begging for mercy. The mages whose magic he uses, forever trapped, stain his mind with torment and screams.

Screams of anger. They wanted to be free. They wanted justice.

Faust didn't blame them per say. He understood them very well. They were, afterall, a part of him now.

The king knew of the effects of the Moonstone. The magical object was fated to turn its user into a mad monster. Though, its been ages since the last Moonstone was ever used. Faust doesn't know exactly how detrimental the effects can be yet.

All he knows is he can never go back.

As he stood tall in front of the glass capsule, his reflection looking back at him in the polished glass, Faust could see how tired he was.

His grim expression could only be described as a king who wanted to rest.

But his eyes said something different.

Faust was aware his eyes scared people. They were a bright piercing blue, one the struck people to their very core. Although there were plenty of people with blue eyes, it was the royal family of Renaisse that stuck out.

For the longest time, the royal family had beautiful blue eyes that were one with the sky and ocean. They always had shining sapphires as irises, glittering with hope for their kingdom.

But when Faust was born, he knew his eyes were different.

They were blue, just like thsoe before him. But his were a metallic blue, icy and cold. His eyes were always so cold. He knew, since he was a child, he would look at others with distaste.

No one had ever made him happy. They were all fake, smiling and welcoming Faust only to use him for his riches.

His father made that mistake, trusting others too well. His father was great king, unfortunately his naivety with others made him a perfect target to become a puppet. He watch his own father be controlled unknowingly by greedy advisors that did nothing for his people.

They only helped themselves. Only those they see fit to be one with Renaisse. His father was blind, with his deep kind blue eyes. His father's blindness caused a great tarnish on the royal Abadeer family.

His father passed away an old man, one with regrets of not bettering his kingdom. There were still people in the streets dying, land being used ruthlessly, and children losing their parents.

When Faust became king, he swore he would fix the mistakes his father did. By never trusting a single soul. The moment Faust stepped into power, he dismissed all his advisors.

Faust knew it was a risky thing to do. But he couldn't afford being manipulated just like his father. He watched those advisors leave the castle, even to this day Faust can still remember every word those advisors told his father.