Intermission

"Father! Father!"

Eyes the color of the brightest cornflower looked up at the tall man they saw as "Father". With small hands, they showed a bundle of daisies. Giggles erupted from this small child as their father knelt down, smiling at the child enduringly.

"Mother would love these flowers, right?" The child pouted at the daisies. At their small feet was a small woven basket full of colorful flowers.

Their father nodded, reaching a hand out and petting their head, "Your mother will love any flower. Now, let's hurry back home. Dinner is almost going to be served."

Standing up, the man held a hand out to the child, waiting for them to pick up their basket. The child collected the flowers, grabbing the large hand.

As they walked through the rich valley, the child looked down at their white shirt. It was made of the softest of silk, almost glowing from the orange hues of the setting sun. A ruffled ascot tickled their chin. The child giggled again, "I'm so happy I don't have to wear those heavy shiny things!"

The child held their father's hand, continuing to talk about such innocent childish things. They pointed out butterflies fluttering by, complimenting the orange and pink rays of the setting sun, and skipped excitedly as they headed home.

Walking hand in hand, father and son, they truly resembled each other. Both with rich black hair and bright blue eyes. Warm lively smiles on their faces while they talked.

It was such a welcoming sight.

"Father?"

"Hm?"

The child looked up at him, blue eyes wide with anticipation. "How long will you be gone?"

"It'll be just a few days," He offered a smile. The father tapped his chin, clean shaven face feeling smooth against his finger. The man hummed, asking his child, "Would you like a gift from Scarabi? I'm sure I can find you something."

"Um," Their child pouted, looking at the basket of flowers, "I'm not sure. Can you get me a flower?"

"A flower?" He raised his eyebrow. Scarabi didn't really have any flowers... He'll have to go to the big cities for that. And he wasn't really planning on going there.

Their child nodded, "I want the prettiest flower you can find!" They showed the basket of flowers, waving the basket around. The child giggled, watching the flowers bounce around. "I want a flower for the garden you promised!"

Of course. The garden. He promised his child a beautiful garden, full of lavish flowers and elegant flowers. There would be roses, lilies, daisies, all sorts of flowers. Trees of oak and willow would loom over stone paths that wove around the garden. Butterflies and birds would fly around while squirrels scampered around.

A garden, just for them. A private family garden.

A place for their best times to be made, happy joyous memories.

"Alright, I'll get you a flower," He promised.

"The prettiest flower?"

"The prettiest. Now, let's hurry back to your mother, she'll be fretting where we are when dinner arrives." He teased, making his child giggle.

Blue eyes, the color of cornflowers.

He'll never forget those eyes. Eyes that looked at him with such admiration and love. Eyes that saw him as a hero.

"Father?"

"Yes?"

"As prince, I decree you as this kingdom's hero for bringing flowers!" Letting go of his hand, the child ran off laughing. The child looked back, waving the basket of flowers around.