62: Quinn

"What are you talking about?" Mason replies to Joshua, who smirks at Riley and I.

"Those two have a thing for each other. I caught them kissing the other day. See," he holds up his phone to show Mason a picture of Riley and I from the other day in the parking lot. That little weasel followed us.

I feel a light touch from behind me and I turn to see Megan. She is giving us a small encouraging smile. She stays close to us in support of whatever is going to go down right now. I'm so glad that someone is on our side in a situation like this.

Mason's eyebrows scrunch as he stares at the picture. For a second I expect him to get so angry and yell at Riley or talk shut about me. Instead he glances back up at Joshua to say, "So..."

"What do you mean so? Riley cheated on you! With a girl!"

"Riley never cheated. We broke up a while ago," Mason replies as if it's old news, but everyone else around us gasps in shock.

"I knew!" Megan yells suddenly. Everyone stares at her in shock and I can't help but giggle at her response and feel a bit relived.

Mason and Riley glance at each other and then give everyone sheepish smiles. "Yeah, sorry, we forgot to tell everyone," Mason adds.

"Aren't you angry? Riley got with her friend right after the break up!" Joshua tries again.

"I don't care you Riley gets with as longs as they are nice to her and treat her wonderfully," Mason replies while crossing his arms and tapping his foot. He is so done with Joshua at this point and I have never loved Mason this much. He really is the best guy I know.

"But they are fucking dykes!"

"Joshua, you really are testing my patience now. I didn't take you as a homophobic person, you really disappointed me though," Mason comments.

"Are you seriously going to take their sides on this!? They are abominations!"

Mason threatens, "Don't ever say that again or I'll put you in the hospital so you can reflect on what the horrible person you are."

Mason turns to face Riley who looks upset about this whole situation. I'm glad he is still there to comfort her in these situations. However, Joshua continues his whining parade. "This isn't fair. Everyone is supposed to be mad now. They are unnatural. Quinn is a little pathetic whore!"

"Look who is talking you pathetic excuse for a human being. You're scum," I spit back.

"You bitch," he replies as he tries to get in my face. I stand my ground and it infuriates him to the point where he tries to push me. However, before I feel his hands on me I'm moved out of the way by Riley. Everything happens so fast as Riley is the one pushed backwards. She trips over the leg of a table and falls backwards, slamming the back of her head on a concrete post.

Mason and I immediately run over to Riley and helps her up. Riley winces out in pain as she touches the back of her head. When she let's go to look at her hand I notice blood. So does Mason as he yell for someone to get help, for someone to get a teacher. Megan nods and runs out to get a teacher to help us.

"They are getting what they deserve," Joshua murmurs. Mason hears him and stands up. He's clenching his jaw and fists, he's trying so hard not to lash out, but his face starts to turn red. I've never seen Mason act like this before. It's too much for him and he turns around to grab Joshua and slam him on the ground. Joshua stares at Mason and looks so terrified, he doesn't say a word now.

"If you ever touch, disrespect or bother Riley or Quinn ever again, I promise you that I will break every bone in your body. You'll kiss your dreams of ever playing football goodbye," Mason growls out. Then he calmly let's go of Joshua's shirt and walks over to me.

At this point Riley is still bleeding and I've already given her my jacket so that she can apply pressure with it against her wound. It doesn't take long for Megan to come back with the teachers and security who help Riley up and put her in a wheel chair to take her to the front. Since Riley has lost what seems to be a lot of blood they have already called her parents who are on the way to the school to pick her up and take her to the hospital.

Unfortunately, the teachers have taken Mason, Joshua and I to the office to discuss what happened along with some other witnesses to the situation. Yet, all I want to do is be with Riley now. She's so scared, she was trembling in my arms and I felt so helpless. When I tried to calm her down, it felt like she wasn't entirely there. Like she was in shock. I hope that everything is okay. I hope the doctors find nothing wrong. She hit her head so hard though and there was so much blood.

I look down at my hands and they are stained red from Riley's blood. My shirt and jeans also have some droplet stains as well, along with Mason's clothes as well. He can tell how worried I am because he grabs my hands. His hand is warm and soft, it reassures me along with his small smile. "Everything will be okay. Don't worry. Riley is going to be okay, she's one tough cookie. And don't worry about this situation, I'm going to tell the truth, you won't get in trouble. The only person who deserves to be punished is that weasel over there."

I nod and we wait as the office staff finishes taking notes from other students before the principal comes into the room to address Mason, Joshua and I. "I have been briefed about what happened and I under no circumstances allow homophobia at this school. This is a very serious issue and two students were hurt badly from this situation. Quinn, I'm so sorry you had to endure this. I will take swift action in punishing Joshua. Quinn and Mason, you two may leave, I need to discuss Joshua's punishments for the disgusting action he took."

"Thank you," I reply as I walk out with Mason. We both stand in the hallway in silence for a few seconds before I say, "You're not angry?"

"Of course not. Whatever goes on between you and Riley is your business. Though, I should have figured out earlier," he chuckles. "It all makes sense now. Riley changed when she became friends with you. And she changed for the better."

"How are you okay with all this? Don't you love Riley?"

"Of course I do, but I'm not love with her just like she isn't in love with me. Sometimes two people stay together because of companionship. That's what happened for Riley and I, but she found you. I have no bad blood with you, Quinn. Thank you for making Riley and realize that we shouldn't be together if we aren't in love with each other. We want different things in life and that's okay. Riley will still always be my best friend, and I'll always be hers. That's not changing," he explains.

"Damn, Mason, you really are a one of a kind guy. I wish there were more men in the world like you."

He gives me one of his dashing smiles and puts an arm around me as we walk through the hallway. "You'll meet more, I hope. Now let's go check up on Riley."

------------------------
Author note: Sorry for taking so long to update. My mental health took a bad dip, I'm slowly getting better again.

Just a few more chapters left. Take you for sticking with me, it means the world to me.

As promised, I made a book review video on Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. The videos are down below. Enjoy.