Coffee and A Phone call

Finn

I wake up to the sound of my phone. When I check who it is, I'm surprised to see that it's Lilah's bestfriend. I had gotten her number from being partners on a school project, but I had never expected her to use it.

"Lilah's upset with you and she won't tell me why. It's my duty as her bestfriend to figure it out, and beat the crap out of whoever hurt her." Kayla said, all in one breath, as soon as I picked up the phone.

"So basically, you want me to tell you what happened, just so you can beat me up?" I laugh at her antics. Apparently she didn't find it funny, I heard her growl in frustration.

"Okay, okay. I'll tell you." I gave in. "Lilah caught me snooping around her dad's office last night." I explained.

"WHAT!?" She screamed in my ear. There goes my hearing. "First of all, why were you in her dad's office? Second of all, what the heck were you doing at Lilah's house last night?!"

"Lilah never told you?" I asked, the surprise was evident in my voice. Aren't besties supposed to tell eachother everything?

"Told me what?" She asked. Her anger was no longer directed towards me.

"I've been paying visits to Lilah's window for the past two nights. Just to get her out of the house." I heard a gasp on the other side of the line.

"Why didn't I think of that..?" She said quietly to herself, before her voice gets louder. "Hold on, WHAT?!"

"You heard me." I laughed a little again.

"That still doesn't explain what you were doing in the office." She said, changing the topic to something more secretive.

"Can I trust you?" I asked her. I think that Kayla should be involved in this too. She is Lilah's bestfriend after all.

"Of course you can. Now, what is going on?" She said a little more quietly, making me suspect that someone was in the same room with her.

I found that I was correct when I heard a male voice in the background. I couldn't make out what they were saying though.

"Logan, it's nothing." She spoke to him. I know Logan, he's friends with Lilah also. I could use as much help as I can get in this situation.

"It's fine." I said. "Logan can know too. Can you guys meet me at a nearby coffee shop I know about? This is too important to say over the phone."

"I'm sorry. We can't. Luca is here also, he's just in the bathroom." Kayla said.

"Bring him too." I decided. "I'll text you the address. Meet me there at 4:00 sharp."

We said our goodbyes and I hung up. I looked at the time, and saw that it was noon now. I slept in.

I know what you're probably thinking. Why would I get so many people involved in this situation? Well, the more people involved, the faster the job is done, and I want to help Lilah out of this situation as soon as possible.

~~~~~~~~~~
"Hello, Finn." Catherine waved to me as I entered the shop. She set a coffee on the bar in front of her and offered for me to sit.

"Hey, Cate." I accepted the coffee and took a sip. "Thanks."

She sat down next to me and waited for me to ask a question or give her some news.

"I found something yesterday." I tell her, pulling out the photo of Abigail and her mother. "Are these women familiar to you?"

She gasped and grabbed the photo from my hands. "Yes. This one is the girl who died in the accident."

"Hmm. Cate, did you have any ex husbands? Or a current husband?" I ask her.