Prologue

Five seconds

Five seconds. That's how long it took for Jaemin to realize this school was not like the rest.

Neo City Dream, the arts school located in the middle of the city where students weren't students but artists. There were no grades, no diplomas, no studying, no books, just pure art.

And that was exactly what Jaemin wanted.

He took a step in and gulped as he saw the students walking by. He got glimpses of the dance studio where dancers were rehearsing, musicians playing in the halls, and through it all, there were students holding large black cameras, documenting all of it.

"Name?" The person sitting at the front desk asked. Judging by how young the person was, Jaemin assumed he was a student as well.

"Na Jaemin." Jaemin responded. The male nodded his head, looking at his laptop for a second before smiling.

"Na Jaemin, it looks like your online registration was completed. So today, you'll be getting a tour of this school, followed by auditions and portfolio reviews tomorrow. Your group is over there." The male said, motioning to a group of people standing in the corner.

Jaemin thanked him, giving him a small bow as he left. He took a deep breath, taking the whole school in as he joined the group.

"Isn't this crazy?" A boy said with a sigh from beside him. Jaemin looked around to see who he was talking to but there everyone else was absorbed in their own conversations. I guess he's talking to me?

"The school. And the fact that we're here." The boy continued. He was about the same height and size as Jaemin, with dark here and a mole under his right eye.

"It's not like we had to do much to get here. There's still auditions before we're officially in." Jaemin told him.

The boy chuckled. "We have a pessimist here, don't we?"

Jaemin shrugged. "Just being realistic."

"Jeno." The boy said, sticking out his hand. "Lee Jeno."

"Na Jaemin." Jaemin responded, hesitating before shaking his hand. Better not be too friendly, for all I know, he could be my competition.

"What are you? A dancer?" Jeno asked. Jaemin shook his head.

"Photographer." Jaemin told him. Jeno raised his eyebrows, clearly surprised by his answer.

"Never would have guessed." Jeno said.

"Some people never do. You?" Jaemin asked back.

"Actor, or at least I hope to be one." Jeno said before smiling with his eyes. Jaemin just nodded his head.

"Cool." Jaemin said, placing his hands in his pockets.

Before Jeno could say another word, a male approached them, with bright hair and a scratch in his eyebrow.

"Well, this must be my group." He said, clapping his hands and rubbing them together. "My name is Lee Taeyong and I'm the headmaster here."

Everything about Taeyong screamed artist. From the way he acted to the shoes he wore, Jaemin could tell that he was in his natural habitat here at the school.

In fact, it seemed that way for every person he saw, from the students drawing in the studio, to the singer warming up her voice. The school was full of talent, and Jaemin felt small as he walked through it, Taeyong leading them on a tour.

"And this, is the film studio. Everyone, respect your photographer and videographers. They are the ones that are going to make you look good and the ones that will be helping you all get jobs in the industry." Taeyong said, staring each and everyone of them down.

Jaemin felt goosebumps as Taeyong's eyes met his. It seemed like Taeyong could see right through his soul.

"Except for you." Jaemin felt everyone's eyes turn towards him, making him feel even more uncomfortable than he was before, something he didn't think was possible.

"What's your name?" Taeyong asked.

"Jaemin. Na Jaemin." Jaemin quickly replied.

"Jaemin, you're applying for this department, aren't you?" Taeyong asked.

Jaemin nodded his head. "Yes I am."

Whispers spread through the group, wondering how Taeyong had known. Taeyong only smiled as he clapped his hands, gaining their attention once again

"His eyes, that's what it was. The adoration he had, admiring the studio, that's how I knew what he was auditioning for. And that is what my faculty and I look for when we select artists to join our school." Taeyong said, guiding them to the large theatre.

"Do you have what it takes to be an artist, the love and burning passion for art? Or are you just here because you want to be famous?" Taeyong asked the group, motioning to the seats for them to get seated.

Jaemin watched as the other tour groups joined as well, each sitting in different parts of the theatre seats.

"I don't have the answer for that question, only you do." Taeyong said, glancing at the stage before turning back to his group.

"I wish you all the best of luck at your auditions tomorrow and without further ado, let's watch some of the works our students have come up with." Taeyong announced as the lights dimmed.

Jaemin watched the performances in awe. Everyone seemed to be oozing with talent at this school, if he could even call it that.

This is exactly where I want to be.

———————————————————————————

Jaeminnnnnn :)