We Only See Each Other at Weddings and Funerals

Present Day

   "And so you see, that's why I sometimes have trouble speaking in public." The little girl said shyly, but Eleanor gave her a warm smile.

   "We're all afraid of something Alicia. Even superheros have fears!" Eleanor revealed, shocking the young girl before her.

   "Really! Like who?" She wondered, letting her curiosity get the best of her. Eleanor paused for a moment as she looked at the young girl before her.

   She was no more then 6 years old and had a fear of public speaking. Her mother brought her into Eleanor's office in hopes that therapy would help her.

Ellie hardly spoke of her childhood with anyone, let alone her patients, but she saw so much of herself in Alicia, that she couldn't resist the urge to help.

   "Well, when I was your age, I was in an elite group called 'The Umbrella Academy.' It was my 2 sisters, 5 brothers, and me and we all had super powers!" Eleanor explained and the girl sat on the edge of her seat, dying to hear more.

   "My brother, Luther, was really strong and my sister, Allison, could rumor anyone to do whatever she wanted..." Eleanor began, but Alicia quickly cut her off, eager to ask questions.

   "Wait so she could tell her mommy that she wants ice cream for dinner and she'd be able to?!?" Alicia asked shocked and Eleanor merely let out a laugh before continuing.

   "Haha yes! We called her 'The Rumor.' My other bother, Klaus, could talk to the dead, Five could jump from one place the other in a blink of an eye, and Ben could summon creatures!" Eleanor explained as she used her hands to show how Ben's powers worked.

   "Wait...that's only..." Alicia paused as she counted with her fingers. "5 of your siblings. What about the other 2?" She asked and Eleanor laughed to herself.

   "Huh you're pretty smart aren't you?"

   "I like to think so." She joked and both girls laughed. Eleanor took in a deep breath before continuing.

   "Well, Vanya had no powers and Diego...he was able to throw knives and change their trajectory!" Eleanor paused for a moment, remembering how much she truly missed them all, especially after how she left things with everyone.

   But, Alicia dragged her out of her thoughts. "What about you Dr. Hargreeves? What's your power?"

   "Well, I'm able to read people's thoughts and move things with my mind!" Eleanor exclaimed as she made a funny face, earning a laugh from Alicia and for the first time, she was happy to share her story with someone - even if it was just a little girl.

   "That's so cool! But how could you guys be afraid of anything?" Alicia wondered.

   "Well, Diego is afraid of needles, Ben is...was afraid of lightning, and I...I'm afraid of being alone." Eleanor admitted, feeling a sense of relief at doing so.

   "Wait, I am too! That's why I don't like speaking in front of my class. I'm afraid that I'll mess up and no one will want to be my friend." Alicia said sadly, but Eleanor immediately turned it around.

   "That's exactly it Alicia. It's just a fear, nothing more. As long as you believe in yourself, you can do anything you set your mind to." Eleanor said, remembering the words Diego once told her.

   Suddenly a clock went off and Eleanor looked to see that their hour session had ended. "Well that's all for today Alicia. I'll see you next week! Good luck with your presentation!" Eleanor said as she brought the young girl to her mother.