Run Boy Run

16 years ago...

   The children all waited behind their chairs at the table for Reginald to approach, as they did every day. The man finally came into view, pausing for a moment, before ordering everyone to "Sit."

   The children rushed to their seats and dove into their meals. Reginald sat at the head of the table, opposite Vanya, and Luther and Allison were sitting across from each other. Eleanor was sitting between Klaus and Ben and across from Diego and Five.

   "Hey." Diego thought to himself, for only Eleanor to hear and she smiled before responding back with a simple "hi." 

   The pair always engaged in telepathic conversations during meal time, partly to help Eleanor practice her ability, but mostly because it was the only time the two could talk to each other without anyone else hearing.

   "How's the food?" Diego asked, engaging in their usual small talk.

   "Same as always." Eleanor said with a shrug as she smiled to herself.

   "So, I was thinking maybe after bedtime we can sneak onto the rooftop again. There's something I need to talk to you about." Diego thought nervously and Eleanor looked up at him questioningly.

   "Sure. What do you want to talk about?"

   "I want to do it when we're alone." He said quickly, referencing everyone else in the room. The boy had a silent victory at the facts that his stutter didn't translate to his head voice.

   Wanting to know more, Eleanor tried to read his mind, but Diego stoped her, being all too familiar with the feeling.

   "Hey Princess, I know what you're doing." He thought with a smirk and she let out a small laugh with a blush, catching Hargreeve's attention.

   "Number Eight, is there something you wish to say?" He asked, annoyed and Eleanor aggressively shook her head while Diego smirked to himself.

   "No, it's nothing. I was just...uhhh...choking on some food...and I-I was trying to cough it up." She lied terribly as she went to fake cough in an attempt to further sell her story.

   Reginald decided not to press her on it further and she took a big gulp of her drink in relief.

   Eleanor then looked around the table, reading each her siblings' minds out of boredom. She first looked to Vanya as she saw the girl playing with her food.

"I wish I could just go upstairs and practice my violin. I'm not even hungry." Vanya thought to herself, boring Eleanor so she looked to Ben next.

"My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep; the more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are intimate." Ben read to himself before quickly flipping the page of his book. Eleanor recognized the line from one of his favorite plays, 'Romeo and Juliet.'

She smiled before then letting her mind travel to Klaus, as she took a bite of her meal. "Just act natural Klaus, act natural." He assured himself and Eleanor instantly looked down to see that he was rolling up a joint. She quickly slapped it out of his hands, while giving him a stern look.

"Owe, that kinda hurt." Klaus thought to himself as he rubbed his hand. Eleanor gave him a sympathetic smile before looking at Allison and Luther making googly eyes at each other.

"Allison, stop blushing. You're embarrassing yourself." She thought, only making her blush more. Eleanor playfully rolled her eyes before Luther's loud thoughts entered her mind.