C H A P T E R 18 ❋

SHINOBU

I mustn't cry, I shouldn't cry, I've to stay strong for her and Kanao as well, I should stay strong.
Also, I can't break down in front of him again, I've to get a hold of myself.

But it's hard, it's hard to contain these feelings, the feeling of despair, sadness, the fear of losing her, and the feeling of wanting to cry
non-stop. I don't want to lose her, no I can't lose her

I like it when you smile, you should smile more. Her voice echoes in my mind several times, she's the reason I smile at the first place. But I can't smile now, there's no way I can smile at such situation.

I feel tears starting to form in my eyes,
Tomioka gives me a concerned look, and kneels down to pick up my phone off the ground, and stands up slowly. His eyes widen the moment he looks at the screen, he slowly retreats as he hands me my phone.
"I should go." I tell him without thinking. I put my phone in my pocket and slid my bag over my shoulder and walk way, I'm mid way through the parking lot when someone grabs my wrist stopping me in my tracks, I turn around to look at his rather emotionless face, "How are you exactly going there?"

And then it hits me, right. How am I supposed to go? Kanae was supposed to pick me up so we can go to Mitsuri's house together.

"I-I don't know." I'm feeling terrible and uneasy, I don't know what to do anymore.
"I'll take you there." He offers, I slowly lift my head up to look at him, our eyes meet for few seconds before I manage to form a small weak smile. "Thank you."

He doesn't say anything but nods slightly and gestures to me to hop on the bike.

•••

The trip to the hospital was awful. I can't think straight of anything, her safety is the only thing I can think of.

The moment we reach the hospital and park the bike. I stumble a bit at removing the helmet and getting off, but once I did I rush towards the entrance ignoring the weird look on Tomioka's face.

Kanae is ridiculous. Yes she's ridiculous and reckless, she's a kind-hearted girl who refuses to see anything but the best parts of this awfully disgusting world, always cheerful and happy, always maintaining on a smile, but as I said, she's ridiculous.

"Excuse me, but can I know what room is Kochou Kanae is now at?" I ask the receptionist as soon as I approach her.

"Oh of course, but may I know how do you know her?" She asks as she taps a bit on the computer in front of her, "I'm her sister. Kochou Shinobu."

She rises her head, "Of course, third floor room 355 it'll be on your right." I nod, I can feel someone else's presence behind me, as I turn around I meet his cold sapphire eyes and look back, took him too long to arrive though.

"C'mon Tomioka-San let's go." I grab his hand and pull him with me towards the elevator, he doesn't protest nor complain, which is honestly weird, throughout all the time we have spent together I learned somethings about him, and one of these things is that; he's not the kind of person to obey what I tell him, but he's always been this silent person.

Now, I'm getting impatient, it's been 2 minutes and the elevator hasn't arrived yet, I started tapping my leg on the floor as I wait and steal a glance at the taller man next to me, he's scrolling through his phone. And I notice that his hand is still in mine, he doesn't seem to mind it or fazed about it, but I don't pull away, his hand is warm and I feel more. . .safe?

I sigh as the elevator finally arrives, luckily there's nobody around, so we won't wait anymore. However, I pull him in with me without saying a word and he stuffs his phone into his pocket and looks up, is he trying to avoid my gaze? "Don't worry, I'm sure she's fine." He suddenly says, and I'm glad for the interruption.