CH. 39

Kylie Jones

I had woken up straight after Damon expressed his feelings. Staying as quiet as possible, I made sure Damon was sleeping before exiting the now claustrophobic cocoon he'd created. The red plush couch in the corner of the room seemed like a perfect place to gather my overthinking mind.

The same unsettling insecurity I'd dealt with ever since the incident in Mexico all those years ago washed over me as I pulled on Damon's hoodie. Loosing Gaberiella the way we did had created a close to impenetrable wall around my heart.

I knew full well that I cared for Damon more than I've ever done for another person, but the voice in the back of my head kept me from embracing the feelings I deep down knew I harbored.

My mind fast forwarded a couple years forward, showing me an older Kylie standing in front of a dark tombstone, graphically spelling Damon's name.

Like a bucket of frozen water washed over me, I jumped out of the couch running out of my bedroom like fire set under my well-rounded ass.

Walking mindlessly around the familiar mansion, I let the deafening silence embrace my shaken being. Not paying attention to any detail around me, I found myself in the most fitting room in the whole house.

Standing in front of me was Gio's extensive collection of high-end booze racked up against all four walls. Grabbing the first bottle in sight chugging it down like water, a defeated sigh left my lips as my body slid down the wall ending on my ass.

Throwing down drinks at this level would definitely result in a long restless night. Embracing myself in my familiar coping technique, I let the relieving feeling of numbness wash over me.

Clearing out my mind completely, I redirected my thoughts on to more important matters. Shauns words repeated on my mind, making me think back to the moment I walked into the clubhouse a few months ago.

The only person not shocked or surprised by my return, nor my affiliation with the worlds three biggest mafia leaders was Axe.

Something about the knowing look in his eyes every time they found out something about my life had hit a nerve then, but nothing made me ultimately suspect him of anything.

Axe was one of the people in my closest family growing up, giving me the best advise. The thought about him betraying my so heartlessly like that would effect me on a much larger scale than Gabriella getting killed.

A cold shiver ran down my spine as the pieces fell into place. Axe and Tatt had been hanging out like two peas in a pod the week before my birthday. Now that I think about it, Ace had been the one proposing the partnership with the Russians in the first place.

The wave of emotion I'd somewhat managed to subdue came crashing down over me like a fucking tsunami, making me choke in result of the massive pressure.

Having bottled up my emotions for as long as I can remember came back to bite me in the ass big time as the dam opened its gates.

Like a flash-flood, tears came streaming down my face with no sign of stopping anytime soon. For once in my life, I let the emotions fill my body to the ends of my disheveled hair strains. It was overwhelming me at first, making it hard to breathe but the feeling quickly faded into delirious pain.