Chapter 6

Emily Matthews

"Welcome to Dauntless" Amar spoke up while standing on the ledge of a broken building "Your lives as a Dauntless initiate starts down there" He pointed behind him. "What below there like water or something?" a Candor girl asked. Amar raised an eyebrow "Jump and find out. So, I would give this moment for our initiates to decide who would go first." There was pin-drop silence. I might deny this later on but I could never have the courage to go first. Not until I have seen anybody else. A dark haired boy from the Dauntless-born came up. "Go Zeke!" Someone cheered from their side. Amar got off the ledge and made way for Zeke. The overconfident boy grinned from ear to ear and walked towards the edge. "This is so not gonna go good" I mumbled under my breath. He jumped off the edge in an attempt to do a back-flip but lost his balance and stumbled down. One fact that I learned about that boy was that he had a very colorful language. "Ok!" Amar said looking down at Zeke "Whose next? I need a transfer." Eric went up flaunting his strength, and I knew the next moment that he was going to have a worse jump than Zeke. I stood correct. Soon many Dauntless born as well as transfers came in line. The Stiff stood at the very end. I was somewhere in the middle. Around 5 people were ahead of me. Just as the number of people decreased my anxiety increased. 4.....3.......2.....1... "Come Smarty Pants." "I have a name you know" I said rolling my eyes "Just get on the ledge". I stood up and without thinking anything placed a foot ahead in the air and shifted all my body weight to it making me fall. I shut my eyes and pursed my lips tightly. Suddenly something hit my stomach. Something hard. I opened my eyes a little and saw a net. I let out a little chuckle as I rolled myself on my back. Someone pulled the net from the left making me slide towards it. I grabbed the nearest hand and noticed the person who helped me.....who was none other than Max. He slowly patted my back and said "I am impressed" I thanked him in a low voice and made my way towards the initiates.

Just been a few hours me being a Dauntless and I'm already regretting it. 

A/N

Divergent does not belong to me. It belongs to Veronica Roth.