Chapter 17

Tobias Eaton

It was past midnight and there I was again in the training room working out. I heard some shuffling and came out a figure. I sigh under my breath. What is happening today? Why anyone can't let me train in peace. There was the person. Amar.

"So I guess you saw the boards," Amar says, leaning against the door frame. He crosses his arms. "And realized that you're up against Eric tomorrow. Or else you would be in the fear landscape room instead of in here." I gave him a short glare.

"Yeah, I know." Amar laughs. "See, I spend a lot of time trying to figure out what your deal is, so I've been asking around. Turns out you're in here every morning and in the fear landscape room every night. You never spend any time with the other initiates. You're always exhausted and you sleep like a corpse." A drop of sweat rolls down the back of my ear. I wipe it away with my taped-up fingers, then drag my arm across my forehead. "Joining a faction is about more than getting through initiation, you know," Amar says, and he hooks his fingers in the chain that the punching bag dangles from, testing its strength. "For most of the Dauntless, they meet their best friends during initiation, their girlfriends, boyfriends, whatever. Enemies, too. But you seem determined not to have any of those things." I've seen the other initiates together, getting pierced together and showing up to training with red, studded noses and ears and lips, or building towers out of food scraps at the breakfast table. It never even occurred to me that I could be one of them, or that I should try to be. I shrug. "I'm used to being alone." "Well, I feel like you're about to snap, and I don't really want to be there when it happens," he says. "Come on. A bunch of us are going to play a game tonight. A Dauntless game." I pick at the tape covering one of my knuckles. I shouldn't go out and play games. I should stay here and work, and then sleep, so I'm ready to fight tomorrow. But that voice, the one that says "should," now sounds to me like my father's voice, requiring me to behave, to isolate myself. And I came here because I was ready to stop listening to that voice. "I'm offering you some Dauntless status for no particular reason other than that I feel bad for you," he says. "Don't be stupid and miss this opportunity." "Fine," I say. "What's the game?"

A/N

Now Now. Please put your knife, compass or even metal scale down. I promised to update and I did. I am also working on another book( not on wattpad ). I'll publish it after I finish this one. so wait up!

ADIOS!