Chapter 26

I know I know. Don't patronize me.

•••

I ran my fingers through Elijah's hair. We both fell asleep on the couch and the sun wouldn't let me sleep anymore. But Elijah's head is still on my lap and he wouldn't let me move.

Every time I even twitched his grip on my waist tightened. I didn't want to wake him up, but my leg was getting very numb.

Caden walked in and plopped down on the couch adjacent to mine. He glanced at us. "You better wake him up. He's got a lifeguard shift in a few minutes."

I frowned. "But he looks so peaceful."

I was a lifeguard last summer and I had CPR certification. "I could cover it, I'm certified."

"I don't see why not."

"How am I supposed to get out of this?" I motioned to Elijah and his bear grip on my waist.

Caden smirked and grabbed a pillow from beside him. "Blow in his ear and when he moves I'll put this pillow under his arm."

I snickered in amusement. "Blow in his ear?"

"Just trust me."

I did what he said and blew in his ear. His face jerked upwards and I slid out quickly and Caden replaced my body with the pillow.

Elijah grabbed the pillow immediately. "Awww," I cooed.

"Barf," Caden remarked.

I rolled my eyes and laughed. I went and changed into a red swimsuit. Hopefully this wouldn't blow up in my face.

•••

Caden had told me what to do when I got to the pool. There was a small building for housing and storage, which was where I went to clock in.

On the iPad I scrolled through the list of names looking for Elijah's.

"Are you new?"

I jumped at the voice and looked behind me. "Uhhh..." I was supposed to be Elijah. "I'm Elijah."

"You're Elijah?" The guy asked incredulously.

"Yes," I confirmed.

"Last time I checked Elijah was an over six foot male."

Crud muffin. What was I supposed to do now?

"Well I decided I want to be a girl now and my new name is... Elisha."

He chuckled. "You think I'm buying this?"

"Yes."

He shook his head and sighed. "You have experience?" He asked.

I nodded liking where this was going.

"You CPR certified?"

"Sir yes sir."

He rolled his eyes. "Ok then whatever. I was never here, got it?"

"Who was never here?"

He smiled. "Exactly," he chuckled, "I'll see you around... Elisha."

I let out a deep breath. Mannn I was goood.

I found Elijah's name and clocked in, before making my way out of the house and to the pool deck. I climbed up one of the towers and sat down.

I swung the whistle around on my finger. "No running!" I yelled to a kid. That's right Lorelai's in charge now.

After twenty minutes I started to get bored. It was sweltering hot and no one was drowning! Not that I wanted anyone to drown. And the chair was so very uncomfortable. How did Elijah do this?