I

I board the ship with my few belongings, not a single regret about leaving my home system behind. Once I place them where I was told, I exit the ship to carry loads of items on to the ship as the beginning of my payment for this transportation. I work quickly and diligently, adrenaline running through my veins as we get closer and closer to having the ship fully loaded. The anticipation of what I am about to do has me on edge, excited but nervous.

"Get to the back and stay quiet. We'll come get you when we need you," one of the crew members instructs, his voice lacking any emotion in his foreign language.

I nod once, making my way towards the back where only two other passengers are located. They are here for the same reason I am—they are leaving the system permanently.

Desperation is a feeling that can make someone do just about anything. And that's why I am where I am now.

I grew up without any sort of figure to look up to. I grew up alone, aside from the people above me giving me a constant to-do list.

When I was just a baby, I was given to a Uquine servant as payment for a debt my father owed. Ever since then, I've been raised to be a perfect servant of those above me. I have lived my whole life in servitude of nasty leaders and disgusting bosses.

Day after day I have been nothing more than a slave to make the life of my superiors easier. I have retrieved countless meals and treats, made endless beds, cleaned up tremendous messes and I have even accompanied a young mistress on her wedding night... and yet, I have never once received any gratitude for the constant back-breaking work I have put in for them. All I have ever received was the reminder that I was a permanent payment from my father and would be living like this my entire life.

Once I decided that I could be more than just a perfectly cultivated slave, I decided I was going to leave. And that is exactly what I am doing.

Within three days of my decision, I managed to find means of leaving the system and I hatched a plan on how to get away easily. And it was even easier than expected, but who would care about one single servant girl? I slipped out this morning under the lie that I was retrieving new supplies and food for the house and quickly made my way to where I was told this ship was.

The other two on the ship with me stay quiet for the journey and I get a little sick at first seeing as it's my first time going light speed.

"Girl," I hear someone call out to me and I raise my head to look at the copilot. He's a nasty looking thing with three eyes and one of them is lazy. I follow him as he takes me to a separate room on the ship. It looks like a bedroom. "Clean."

I roll my eyes and get to work. I take a deep breath, knowing that there will eventually be a day where I am not just someone who follows orders.

A sudden, quaking boom sounds as I'm thrown from my position and land on my back on the floor I've been cleaning. I groan as I roll over and try to get up, but another, stronger jerk sends me to the wall. I crash down and I suddenly get a weightless feeling and the sudden realization of what is happening gives me a sickening feeling.

The ship is falling.

I crawl to the door as I try not to vomit and before I can make it out of the room, I hear a crash and am thrown against the door frame and hit my head, taking me into darkness.