XIV

I turn my head, unsure of where I am or how I fell asleep. The sound of a door sliding open causes me to slowly open my eyes in confusion.

"Ready to train?" Kylo's electronic voice rings in my ears as my vision slowly comes to clarity.

I lift my head up to see him in his expected black outfit as he closes the divide between us. I slowly look around, trying to ignore the pain in my head.

What? I could have sworn I had my own bedroom...why am I still in a holding cell?

He lifts his hand and immediately I flinch. I can't bring my arms to my face and I panic, suddenly coming to the realization that I am restrained to the cell's table like I was so many weeks ago when I first arrived here.

Before I can realize he isn't going to hurt me, he is taking the restraints off of my arms and legs. I unhesitatingly begin to rub my wrists, knowing they'll be sore for a while. As I'm trying to soothe the places on my skin where the restraints rubbed, I feel the aches in my body. The memory of the staff battle I had with Kylo begins to resurface. I look down at my bare arms and see the marks that Kylo made with his staff. Bruises of all colors cover my flesh, dry blood accompanying the spots in some areas.

Before I have a chance to ask any questions, Kylo grabs my arm and pulls me from the room. I stumble while I try to keep up with his impatient pace.

We pass many members of the First Order on our way to the training room and they all briefly look at us. Some of their eyes give me a look of pity and other have a knowing smirk on their faces.

Just before we turn down the corridor that leads to the training room, I look up to see Bane. He stops in his tracks and his eyes widen at the sight of me. I know I must look dreadful, but his eyes show fear. I try to keep my eyes on him as long as possible before Kylo yanks me away. I silently beg him to help me, but I know that there is nothing he could do.

Finally, we reach the training room and Kylo quickly throws me in and I fall to the ground. I've had enough of this.

"What the fuck?"

"You performed poorly. I have been considering your usefulness to the First Order."

His words manifest a great fear in the pit of my stomach. Am I nothing more than a slave now? Is he going to get rid of me?

Anger builds within me and before I have time to think better of it, I speak from the pit of that anger.

"You know, if you would try to teach me instead of just using me as a method to get rid of your anger, my training would have much more pleasing results," I say with venom in my tone. I glare up at him as he passes by to take his helmet off. Apparently, his words of warning yesterday aren't enough to deter me from speaking to him like this.

"If you wouldn't talk to me with such attitude, maybe I wouldn't have to get rid of as much anger," he replies swiftly, not even turning to look in my direction.

I bring myself to a standing position as decide on trying a different approach.

Kylo takes off his helmet and cloak, setting them down before grabbing our staffs off of the wall.

He throws mine to me with no further regard and I catch it, holding it diagonally to my body with both of my hands. Kylo rolls his shoulders, taking his shirt off after setting his staff down.

When he turns to me, I make steady eye contact with him. I step forward, throwing my staff to the ground beside me forcefully.

"If you need to take your anger out, do it this way. I'm defenseless! I'm sure you will just love this! Do you think that I don't hear the whispers from people here? I know what you like, Kylo Ren! You get off on the pain of others! So go ahead and hurt me. Like everyone you've ever hurt. Have at me. I'm yours. You can beat me with your staff until you've had enough. I'd rather not waste my energy desperately trying to fight back when you won't even teach me." I keep my voice plain and simple—no sarcasm, no venom, no hatred. I just say it in such a matter-of-fact-tone. I step closer him, taunting him to do as I said.

Kylo blinks. His eyes train on me as I can visibly see the shock, and something darker, take over his body. His hands relax their hold on the staff and his shoulders relax ever-so-slightly.

I take another step towards him, holding my palms open and forward as a show of my submission. I want him to see that I'm his for the taking.

"Go ahead," I encourage, bowing my head in another act of submission. I close my eyes, waiting for Kylo to use his weapon against me.

Silence ensues, lasting enough to help my heart rate slow down from the high it was just on. I can't believe I did that so calmly when my heart was threatening to beat out of my rib cage from fear. I have to focus intently on my hands to keep them from shaking from the fear that I feel for what will come next.

A clatter brings my heart rate right back up and I jump a little, startled at the sound.

I open my eyes, looking up to where Kylo was standing to find empty space.

My eyes shoot around and I look down, seeing him on the ground, sitting on his legs and hunched over. His back is rising and moving rapidly, and can I hear his breaths. It appears he is hyperventilating? His hair falls in front of his face so I can't see his expression, which is what I need. What is going on?

My jaw drops. I'm surprised to see him in such a vulnerable position, and I have the urge to drop beside him to comfort him.

The fuck, Lyra? This man knocked you out after beating the shit out of you yesterday and you want to comfort him?

"Kylo, I-" I begin, not knowing what I intend to say but thankfully he cuts me off.

"Leave." His voice is monotone and low and at first, I'm not one hundred percent sure that I heard him correctly.

Instead of walking towards the door, I take a timid step towards where he sits on the floor.

Before I can take another step, his head snaps up. "Leave!" He screams, his face red. I take one last look at him before turning and running out of the room.

As I run towards my room, I think about the way he looked.

His face was so red, and he had a vein popping out on his forehead, but that wasn't what scared me. His anger can only scare me so much.

It was the tears welled up in his eyes that frightened me to the core.