XVI

The clothes are still too big.

Even though Bane said that they were the smallest ones he had, they still hang off of my body awkwardly. Nonetheless, I make the best of it and roll the loose pants up so that they aren't under my feet when I walk, and I pull the shirt up so that the scoop isn't too revealingly low.

Towel drying my hair, I walk out of the bathroom, releasing myself from its steamy atmosphere.

As I reenter the bedroom, Bane's eyes fall upon me.

"They sure do treat you well, don't they?" I casually comment as I walk towards Bane with the towel on my hair.

"Better than you would have guessed?" Bane asks, grinning at me and motioning for my to sit next to him on the bed.

When I place myself at his side, he turns and grabs my hips, turning my body so that my legs swing onto the bed and my back is to him. He pulls the towel from my hands.

"I guessed all of you would share bunkers or something of the sort," I answer, grimacing as I think back to my life as a servant.

"That's what most would believe. We're more than just slaves here, though," he says, running his fingers through my wet hair. The feeling reminds me of when I was just a girl and one of the matured servants would take care of me at night.

I turn my head to look at Bane over my shoulder. Our eyes connect and a sudden shiver passes down my spine.

"We're a part of something so much bigger than we know here, so they take care of us," Bane continues. I watch his lips as they move, desiring to feel them against my lips again.

"Have you ever wanted to...I don't know, do something else? Be something else?" I ask him, turning my body to face him. A strand of my hair stays in Bane's fingers as I turn and we both watch as it slips from his fingers once I'm completely turned around.

"I've never had a reason to," he says slowly as I close a bit of space between us. I reach up and wrap my finger in one of the curls of his hair. I'm now supporting myself on my knees, so my eye level is above his head. Slowly, he adds a second comment. "Until now."

I don't really understand what he means, but I'm more focused on getting back to kissing him so I don't bother to ask.

I fully entwine my hand with his hair, adding my other hand as well to feel the silkiness of his locks. I use my grip in his hair to tilt his head back so that when I tilt my head down, we are making eye contact. I relish in the feeling of being so close to someone and having my fingers laced in his hair.

"What changed?" I finally ask him, loosening my fingers so that I can run my hands towards the back of his head, letting my nails scrape against his scalp. I watch his eyes flutter closed as I do this and I know that he must enjoy what I am doing. I feel no reason to be bashful or timid around this man anymore, and that frightens and excites me.

A moment of silence passes between us before I feel Bane's hands on my waist, my shirt sliding against my skin as a result. The touch brings a bit of soreness as my waist was struck quite a bit, but I hide the pain. Instead, I focus on the strange new feeling of having someone touch me in such a gentle way.

Our eyes never depart, and instead of me ever getting an answer to my question, Bane pulls me down towards him. This results in my lips smashing against his which I believe was intended.

This gesture is unlike the last one where it was slow and testing and patient.

This kiss is fiery, strong, fast-paced, and almost aggressive. It ignites a burning inside of me and a desire for more so when Bane pulls me closer, I give into the natural desire and press my body against his, moving my legs so that I've now wrapped my legs around his waist and I rest on his legs.

This is all so new and foreign to me, but it's exhilarating and breathtaking. It feels natural and normal to me, so I just go with the flow.

I want to savor this, to ingrain every single sensation into my brain to remember later. This is possibly the most positive experience I have ever had in my life and I can't afford to forget a single instance.

I suddenly pull back, a question hot on my mind.

Bane looks at me with a bit of confusion in his eyes but his whole face reads elation.

"So, wait. We can do this whenever we want?"

A deep, throaty laugh erupts from Bane and all I can do in response is smile and laugh along with him. I feel the vibrations of his laughter where our bodies are pressed together from our chests to our waists.

"Yes, we can. How bad was it that you couldn't even kiss somebody?" Bane asks, laughter still in his voice.

I stop laughing and smiling.

I look down, dropping my hands from where they'd ended up on his neck and clasp them together. "I was the lowest you could get. We could hardly eat unless we were told to," I admit, shame taking over my mind. He probably shouldn't be dealing with a lowly slave from another system who has amounted to little more here.

"Hey," Bane says, his laughter having died soon after mine did. He hooks a finger under my chin and tilts my head up to face him. "If it helps any, you're basically like royalty here."

I scrunch my eyebrows together, knowing for sure he's lost his mind. I snort, laughing at the word. Royalty.

"No, really!" He verifies, smiling at me. "I mean not literally, but Lord Ren protects you as if he's your royal guard or something."

Again, I snort at him, thinking about Kylo actually caring about me. Yeah, right. That motherfucker wants nothing but my demise.

"It's true. In fact, he—" he stops short, his eyes widening.

"He what?" I ask, now concerned about what Bane almost said.

"It's nothing, Lyra," he lies, smiling at me. But I can tell it's fake this time.

"Bane, tell me," I say, a little bit harsher than I intended.

He stares at me for a while before speaking. "After the scene in the commissary hall...he threatened me and almost choked me to death." l His eyes are cautious, waiting for my reaction.

"He what?" I repeat, this time with disbelief in my voice. I move myself off of Bane's lap and sit on the edge of the bed.

"It wasn't a big deal, really. He was just questioning why I was associating with you. Nothing more," he explains, scooting next to me. "Don't worry about it."

I could sense that he didn't want me to press further, but I knew he wasn't telling the whole truth.

After an internal battle, I speak up. "So why are you associating with me now? He could have killed you!"

"I'm not worries about him, Lyra. Like I said...as long as we do our job, we're free to spend our time with whomever we want."

His smile that follows his words is enough to convince me to drop the issue and not worry about what Kylo Ren has to say.

I turn and look at Bane's face and just try to appreciate his beauty. I have always found myself inclined to look upon men with darker hair and eyes. And while his features aren't quite as rich as Kylo's, they're much kinder and therefore I am much fonder of them.

Staring at his pink mouth, I decide to quickly end this conversation by putting his lips to better use.