III

I wake up to a cold ache, slowly opening my eyes to come to the realization again that I'm surrounded by snow. When I lift my head, I see reddened snow from the blood dripping from my head.

That can't be good.

I stand up, knowing that I have to ignore my pains because I will freeze out here if I don't start moving. I did not just escape my home system and survive a ship-wreck to die here in the snow.

Moving around, I try to work my joints out of the locked state they're in from laying in the snow for who knows how long. I jump up and down in place to get my heart beating faster in hopes of warming up.

After a while, I decide I must find some form of civilization to figure out where I am.

I begin walking, the wind whipping against my face and making me shiver. My body begs me to stop and rest, but I know that will only result in my death.

Walking faster, I fight against the cold as I weave through trees and then out in the open to find any sign of other life that could maybe help me. All I need at this moment is shelter and warmth. Then I'll worry about the rest.

I look all around me, finding nothing but snow, trees, and expanses of nothingness. Not a single is to be found.

I keep walking.

I walk.

And walk.

And keep walking.

Soon, my walking turns into trudging as the cold takes a further toll on my body. I refuse to give up, no matter how much blood drops from me to the snow beneath my feet. I have to get somewhere. I did not escape from my past only to die like this. I would at least prefer to die in a fight or something.

I climb up a hill slowly but surely. Once I reach the top I see smoke and as I look across, I see ruins of a building. I look around more to see black ships with large parallel wings on the sides. I see people dressed in white with blasters shooting at people that are returning shots with their blasters. Storm troopers? I've never seen a real one before. I make my way down the hill, not wanting to get in the middle of it but I wanted to get closer. There must be people here if the storm troopers are paying a visit.

In my home system, my master was one of the highest ranked beings in the system. From what I heard in his chats with other members of the estate, he was in very good standing with the First Order. I hardly even know what The First Order is...but from what I do know it is the leading force of the galaxy.

As I am making my way down the hill, my foot gets caught on something and I fall, tumbling down the hill in the snow. I hit things on my way down, causing a fire of pain in my side and head. I land level with the rubble of a building, seeing the fighting from the ground up. I move to get up when I hear the sounds of a ship flying near me. I look up, seeing a large black ship land only a few hundred yards away from me. The doors open and a figure dressed in all black steps out with a red, burning weapon at his side. I'm sure I've heard something about all of this, but the life of a servant isn't very giving on information about the happenings in the galaxy.

I get up and move out of sight as fast as I can with my injuries. I watch as the black figure walks about, wreaking havoc everywhere he steps. Screams come from the poor village people who can't get away. I watch as the figure hits things with his weapon and I can sense the power that radiates from him.

"Lord Ren, we've found nothing." I hear someone say to the figure in black even from my distance. I begin to creep closer to the scene, keeping low but being too interested to worry about my safety.

The person nods, walking forward to a woman who is crouched on the ground, holding a child behind her.

"You'll fail, Kylo Ren," she yells, spitting at the man in black.

"You're wrong." And with that, he brings his weapon down on her.

I hold back a scream, seeing the woman fall and the child behind her scream.

I feel sorrow for the child, knowing he must have no idea what's going on as he watched his mother die.

The hooded figure, who I'm assuming is called Kylo Ren, start to walk away, the fiery part of his weapon disappearing when a trooper stops him. "The child?"

Ren turns back to the child. I creep closer, hiding by a small block wall that was broken down. I can clearly see the scene in front of me only a short distance away now. How I've managed to stay this discreet is beyond me, but I'm thankful to still be hidden.

"I guess he can't live without his mother," he says, and he brings his weapon out and it flames again.

Before I know what I'm doing, I run towards the child. "No!" I scream, grabbing the attention of everyone around. I reach the child and grab him, crouching as I push him behind me.

I can see the figure in black better now and I can clearly see the mask he wears. He cocks his head to the side and seems to stare at me for a while.

Storm troopers are immediately on either side of me, grabbing my arms and picking me up. They hold me in front of the masked man and my feet don't touch the ground.

I feel only fear. Why would I ever think it was a good idea to do something so stupid.

"Your name?" He asks and I realize just how electronic his voice is.

"L-Lyra Elson," I reply, my voice extremely shaky. I honestly don't even understand why I answered him...it's just something about the power radiating from him.

A long pause follows me giving up my name. One of the troopers holding onto my arm speaks up. "Do you want us to kill her?" Fear jolts through my body at his words and I start struggling immediately, my pain diminishing as I realize I could be dealing with much worse than just some bodily injuries. The masked man tilts his head down, probably looking over my injured and weak body.

"Put her on the ship. She might be from the resistance. I'll question her later," he commands, and the two troopers drag me up the balcony of the largest ship. I should probably feel relief for my life being spared, but I have no idea what waits for me in the ship. I have no clue who this Kylo Ren person is or what he could be capable of.

I'm taken through the ship to a tiny cell where they carelessly throw me before locking the doors and leaving.

What have I gotten myself into?