12.

- "are you okay?" they ask. you rub your head and look up to see who it is, squinting your eyes. they widen when you realise who it is standing before you with their hand extended. "oh... yeah-"you grab their hand and they help you to your feet. "i'm fine, are- are you okay? i wasn't watching where i was going"

"i'm good... uh so, did you get it?" "get what? oh that um... i- well... yeah Fred, i did" you laugh nervously. "oh i'm glad, any thoughts?" "no... no, not really. it was nice, uh... did you mean it?" "yeah, every word..." "oh... cool... so you like..." "like you?" "yeah, that..." "yeah, i do." "we've only spoken like four times" "yeah and every time we spoke for like a half hour about our lives. getting to know you just led me on this path"

"oh, i mean i'm not... i'm not mad about it" you smile. "you're not?" "no..." "huh, that's good to know" "well i have to get to class actually but, thank you for helping me up" "sure" "see you later Fred, say hi to George for me" "alright, see you later y/n" he smiles as he walks away, you watch him and bite your lip softly in thought.

you turn around to see Draco watching you, he looks disturbed. "what?" you ask as you walk past him, he walks alongside you and shakes his head. "nothing, you and Weasley like... dating?" "no... did it look like it?" "in a way" "oh..." you start smiling and Draco hates that.

"you receive any valentine's letters?" you ask him. "oh yeah plenty, loads" "really?" "yeah, so many" "oh okay... from who?" "oh you know, everyone. pansy..." you don't believe that he got many, he's acting very strange with the way he's expressing how many he got. "right. well i got a weird one, it was the sweetest thing i've ever read but it wasn't signed"

"what's the point in writing a love letter if you don't sign your name to it?" he asks confused. "i know right, it's weird" "it was probably saint pottah" "i don't think so, him and Ginny Weasley are kind of a thing i think" "he could be a player" you roll your eyes at that response.

"well, i hope you never find out who it is" "why?" "i'd hate for you to be happy" he smirks as he walks to his desk, your face drops into an annoyed expression and you scoff, sitting in your seat. you sit next to Neville because Hermione is sitting next to Ron and Harry isn't here yet.

"hey Neville" he jumps and looks at you, looking extra awkward and shy today. "oh, hi" "hey, i got your letter. thank you for that" "oh no worries" he fidgets with his hands, pulling out a handkerchief and wiping his forehead. "you okay?" "yes..." "okay..." you decide to leave him alone for this class so you don't stress him out more.

"got a girlfriend longbottom? oh yeah, you'd be too scared and sweat covered to even ask her to be your girlfriend" "malfoy come on" you groan. "what? it's just the truth, right longbottom?" you look at a very nervous neville and whisper to him, "ignore him".

you keep thinking about that letter, they must be incredibly fond of you to think you are that beautiful and sophisticated. you begin daydreaming about the words and smiling into the distance without knowing, that is until you get interrupted by Professor Snape clearing his throat loudly.

you jump and look up at him, people laughing in the background.

"have a nice day dream miss y/l/n?" "yes actually it was quite good..." you respond, taking a humorous approach to it. people laugh again which makes you feel good. "pay attention" Snape says as he walks away. "dreaming of weasley?" Malfoy asks in a cocky tone, you just roll your eyes and face the front of the class.

you open your books but secretly write a list of people to interrogate about this letter. you're determined to find out who it's from. you think of who to write then begin your list.

"Neville, Seamus, Blaise, Cedric, Harry, Ron, Fred, George, Malfoy...

you scrunch your nose in thought and decide to cross out Malfoy's name, there's no way it's him.

Luna, Pansy, Hermione, Oliver, Crabbe, Goyle, Ernie, Hannah, Justin, Terry, Michael, Anthony, Theodore"

you write a few more names and eventually go on a hunt and ask people if its them. you cross out almost every name except three, Cedric, Fred and Ron. you know it isn't Ron, but you figured you'd ask anyway.

"hey Ron, i'm just wondering if this was you?" you show him the note, and before even finishing the first line he scoffs. "no, you are beautiful y/n but you're like a sister to me and i'm dating Hermione" "i thought so... thank you" "still haven't figured out who it is? i've seen you running around all day" "no, i have two more people to ask but... after that i have no idea"

"good luck" he smiles. "thank you" you rush off to find either Cedric or Fred, you spot Fred and George and approach them both. "hey Fred, um can i ask you something?" "sure" "was this you by any chance? i already asked George" you show him the note, he reads it and shrugs. "not me but they have a way with words" "yeah, well thank you for your help, i have to go find someone" "okay, good luck" he smiles.

"thank you, have a good day" you accidentally let out a nervous giggle, when you walk away you sigh and cringe at yourself. "ew..." you whisper.

you make your way over near the hufflepuff area to find Cedric, when you find him you sigh in relief. "hey cedric! can we talk?" "oh sure" he follows you over to where no one is. "what's up?" "um... was this you by any chance?" you show him the letter, he reads through and laughs. "um, yeah"

"it was?" you ask with surprise but relief. "yeah, i wrote this" "so you sent me two cards?" "yeah, one short and one detailed" "oh... why did you not want me to know about it?" "i don't know, mystery?" "oh... cool" you smile. "i have to go but um, thank you for the letter" "sure, of course" "see you around Cedric" "see you around y/n"

you fake a smile then begin walking off, you can feel a pit in your stomach. for some reason you don't believe Cedric was the one to write it but if he wasn't, why would he lie? you're also determined to figure that out.

—————————————

aa. detective y/n on the case of the mysterious letter

i used some of the names from students in the books, so that's why there's some unrecognisable students in there!