39

you spent the rest of the time you were allowed out of your rooms crying in Ron's arms. he got Fred and George to come and help cheer you up, and of course it worked almost instantly.

but as soon as you had to leave the three red haired boys, you felt a strong feeling of sadness again. if what you saw wasn't bad enough, Draco didn't even come and try to explain, and that hurt you more.

it's the next morning, Lupin is taking you all down to the dungeons to use the mirror of erised. you're not entirely sure why they want you to look in it, but you're curious to see what you and other people get.

Hermione is standing beside you, your right arm interlocked with her left arm. "i am so excited" she whispers, "i can tell" you respond, your tone not as happy as hers. you have been avoiding Draco since you got into this class, but he hasn't actually tried to speak to you. he's just looked at you a lot, and i mean a lot...

you're all taken to the room containing the mirror, and told to wait in a line against the wall at the back. Hermione makes sure you're both close to the very front of the line, behind Harry, Ron, Neville, Dean, Seamus and three other students.

Draco stands at the back with his friends, staring over at you.

you know he's staring, that's why you're not looking back. "you know Malfoy is staring at you right?" Hermione whispers, while Lupin is explaining how to use the mirror. you nod without looking back, "yeah, he's probably waiting for me to tell everyone what i saw so he can make fun of me for it".

"Neville, you're up first"

everyone watches Neville nervously walk up to the mirror, "just look into it. it will show you and only you, your hearts deepest desire"

Neville nods slowly before looking in the mirror, all you and the rest of the class can see is his reflection. But it seems Neville is content with what he saw... not completely happy but not sad either, just content.

"do you want to share what you saw Mr Longbottom?" "my parents... alive, making me breakfast" he says softly. your empathetic heart feels for him, you wish you had parents to make you breakfast too.

after a few students, it's Harry's turn. he nervously steps up, most people's interest peeked. He stands before the mirror, keeping the same, dull expression the entire time. "my parents..." he whispers to himself, loud enough for a few students to hear.

"you see your parents Potter? now how do you even know what they look like, they died before you could stand on your own or say their names" Malfoy laughs, along with his friends. "do you mind Draco?!" you shout at him, seeing his expression go from happy and proud of himself to confused.

"alright students just... quiet down. Mr Weasley, you're up" Lupin says, while Ron is happily walking up to the mirror.

he remembers what he saw in it when he was younger, so he's happy to see it again. "still quidditch captain!" he shouts happily, you and Hermione smiling at his excitement. "Ms Granger", you watch Hermione take a deep breath, whispering "relax" to herself.

she walks up to the mirror hesitantly, and while watching her you feel Malfoy watching you. you're getting bothered by it, but you're trying not to let him know that.

you watch Hermione smile at what she sees, but not volunteering to say it out loud. she walks over to you and the two boys whispering "i saw myself in my house with my parents, successfully running a popular organisation. we were all happy and healthy" she smiles.

you pat her shoulder lightly, before heading toward the mirror yourself.

your stomach feels like an empty pit, you have no idea what to expect. your heart beats a little faster with every step you take closer to the mirror. you crave your parents but you don't know who they are, you want a happy life with a family of your own after hogwarts and... that's exactly what you see.

you furrow your brows lightly at the vision, seeing two 5 or 6 year old girls who look just like you, except one of them has blonde hair, and the other brunette. you see yourself putting a plate of food infront of them both, and then your partner coming to kiss your cheek and both of the little girls heads.

you recognise the blonde boy in the mirror, even as an adult... it's Malfoy.

you stand completely still, shock, sadness and surprise being the only things you're really feeling right now.  "Ms y/l/n?" Lupin asks, you look up at him, swallowing hard. "are you alright?" "mhm... i'd rather not say what i saw if that's okay" "of course it is..." you nod lightly and walk back to your friends.

they look worried, asking what you saw... but you don't respond. you just stare at the ground, listening to everyone else's desires.

it becomes Malfoy's turn after a while, and when he's called up the front he hesitates. "you know this is absolutely ridiculous right?" he asks, Lupin shrugging and signalling for him to come over. He hesitates further, before walking over to the mirror.

you watch him walk over slowly, standing in front of it. For a moment, everyone can see a genuine smile on his face, and besides you, no one has ever seen that.

He drops the smile when he looks at Lupin, "nothing interesting" he lies, walking back over to his friends... But the two of you make eye contact before he does.

you wonder what he saw, and now you're curiosity is larger then your anger or sadness towards him. When the class is over and you're all out of the dungeon, you contemplate asking him what he saw.

you decide to go for it, waiting for the students to pass you before you walk alongside him. his friends walk in front of him, but a bit further away so they can't hear your conversation.

"so what did you see?" you ask without making eye contact, your arms crossed over your chest. "i'm not telling you that until you're okay with me" he responds. you look up at him with a confused look, but he's smirking.

you watch him walk away from you without saying another word, and finding yourself smiling.