Chapter 3

Sparky and I didn't get to meet again until my eighteenth birthday.

I saw her in the trees a little distance away, but my parents have had a watchful eye on me. They spend even more time with me whenever possible, as if they know something is going to happen.

Today I'm turning eighteen, and my parents decided that it would be good to get ice cream at the local shop. They only agreed on it because it's not too busy at night.

My parents are worried about me being exposed to people. I don't understand what could go wrong with making friends, but they are strongly against it. Because of this, I haven't left the house unless I was with them.

The first time I left the house by myself was the day I made my first friend, Sparky. She helped me when no one else could and made me feel safe. I really hope I am able to see her again soon.

My dad is driving to the ice cream shop, while I am snuggled in the backseat thinking of all the people I may meet there. Maybe I could make another friend.

The forest seems as if it is calling to me, the trees swaying with the breeze. I want nothing more than to be outside in the woods with Sparky. I met her for just a brief moment but she will forever leave an imprint on my mind, showing me what could be. What my life could be if I had friends to have fun with. What my life could be if I had the opportunity to laugh and cry at the same time. What my life could be if I was truly happy.

Thinking about all of this now makes me feel ungrateful, like I don't appreciate my parents. They have given me everything they could. They worked late hours so I could spend time with them at home during the day. They homeschooled me so I wouldn't miss out on all my learning.

The one thing I have never understood is why they won't let me leave. I never learned how to drive, meaning I could only go places with them. I just want to be friends with people my age. I want to laugh at inside jokes, play pranks, and maybe even fall in love. I want so much but I already have so much. I can't be too greedy. Maybe I don't deserve friends, that's why my parents won't let me make any.

Who knows why they won't let me experience life like they did. Maybe I'll never know.

My dad pulls into the ice cream shop, my body thrumming with excitement. Maybe I can truly have fun.

Getting out of the car, I bounce on my feet lightly, pulling my mom and dad by their hands to the order window. Once we arrive there, a nice looking man smiles at all of us before asking, "What would you like?"

Not knowing how to respond, I tap my mom's shoulder before pointing to the birthday cake ice cream. She nods her head, giving me a warm smile, before ordering for all of us.

I zone out after making sure she ordered mine, looking around at the few people who sit outside at picnic tables. My eyes land on one girl who is sitting alone.

This beautiful girl has long and wavy hair that cascades down her back. The color of it reminds me of tree bark, a natural earthy tone that radiates warmth. She is wearing an oversized black leather jacket and black ripped jeans. Her brown hair falls over her shoulder as she looks back towards me.

Gasping instantly when our eyes meet, I get lost in those deep pools of gray. Her eyes sparkle like a shining star, but are the same color as the moon. Her eyes hold the night sky in them so beautifully, I can't drag my look away. They remind me of someone's eyes but I'm not focused on that right now.

I'm snapped out of my trance when my dad touches my arm lightly, turning me to face him. "Are you okay, Sophia?"

Still in a daze, I nod, trying to turn back around to look at the girl again. My dad follows my gaze and his eyes instantly harden when he takes in her appearance.

We get our ice cream and go to an empty picnic table a ways away from the girl who caught my eye. My dad whispers in my mom's ear about something I couldn't hear, and she also looks at the girl.

Not understanding their antics, I tilt my head in question. My parents wave me off, letting me know everything is fine. Nodding my head while still confused, I just dig into my ice cream.

After devouring my birthday treat, I look to my parents who are side eyeing the girl I was staring at.

What is with them today? And what does it have to do with that girl?