Chapter 16

Sophia's POV

Rowan and I went back to sleep after sharing many kisses, and I slept soundly. No more nightmares. The night terrors of my parents' death were traumatizing, making me remember every detail of the horrid events.

"Kitten, are you awake?" I'm just laying here, in Rowan's arms, thinking about everything that has happened since my parents died. I met Rowan, probably the best thing that has happened to me. She introduced so many new things into my life and drove away the loneliness I have been experiencing.

Deciding to answer her with a hum, she turns her body to face mine. "What are you thinking about?"

Looking in her eyes, I answer truthfully, "I'm thinking about how lucky I am to have met you."

This time, she hums, satisfied with my answer. She gives me a soft smile before leaning in, placing a short but sweet kiss on my lips. After she pulls away, she looks regretful. "I hate to bother you, but I've been informed that we need to go to your house and empty out your belongings."

This gets my attention quickly. "What's happening to my house?"

She looks nervous before saying, "They are going to sell it since you are living with me. Is that okay? You can live there if you want to..." I don't want to leave Rowan, but I also don't want to leave the place I was raised.

Voicing my concerns to her, she reassures, "It's going to take a while for it to be sold, we can visit anytime you want. Also, all your parents' belongings will stay with you."

Nodding, I say shyly, "I'd like to live with you... if that's okay..." I've grown too attached to Rowan to just leave her. And how would I pay for my parents' house?

Her face brightens immediately, and she kisses me quickly. "I'd love for you to live with me."

After cuddling for a little longer, we get up and get ready to leave. Showering and brushing our teeth, we are now in the car on the way to my old home. It was hard being away from Rowan to shower, but I managed.

I feel queasy, being in a car again making me feel unsafe, but Rowan's hand is in mine, rubbing her thumb against the back of it soothingly.

We pull into the isolated house, far away from others, and park in the driveway. I hop out of the car once it has stopped, unbuckling and opening my door quickly. I feel like I can finally breathe freely, now that I'm out of that contraption.

"You okay?" Rowan asks worriedly, rushing over to my side. I nod shakily, before a thought pops into my head. My breaks into a bright smile, remembering my first friend. I might get to see Sparky!

"Sparky might be here! Let's go check!" I drag Rowan by her hand to the back of the house, to the woods. Looking around hastily, I don't see my first friend anywhere, my mood instantly falling.

Noticing my change in demeanor, Rowan squeezes my hand tightly. "Are you okay?"

Tears prick my eyes, and I'm not able to hold them in. I want to see my friend. "I want Sparky," I say sniffling softly.

I see Rowan fighting with herself, indecision clear in her eyes. "I don't think Sparky is coming back, Sophia."

Confused, I ask, "Why would you think that?" What does she know?

"It's just... I don't know... Maybe she..." She takes a deep breath before saying the one thing I didn't expect.

"I know she's not coming back... Because I'm Sparky."