Chapter 10

Rowans POV

My broken mate is in my arms, sleeping soundly. Doctor Maxine looks at me before saying, "We need to talk about this."

Nodding my head, I agree, "Yes we do." Sophia mumbles something sleepily, snuggling closer into me. Gazing down at my gorgeous mate, I look at her blonde hair and light pink lips, wondering how I got so lucky.

Doctor Maxine grabs my attention, asking, "What did she mean when she said her parents didn't let her leave?"

Also wondering about that, I remember how in the woods when I was in my wolf form, she asked to be my friend so excitedly, like she hadn't had one before. Could I have been her first friend? "She seems to have been isolated her entire life, with her not knowing how to talk to strangers, and saying her parents didn't let her leave the house."

Doctor Maxine nods slowly, before saying in a worried tone, "If that's the case, she has never been exposed to people or hardships, except for the most recent one. I recommend something called 'exposure therapy,' to show her what life is like when she isn't locked away. It is going to be difficult for her, but she will come to find out that things aren't as scary as they seem."

We make a plan to talk to talk to Sophia about this and see if she is open to the idea. Doctor Maxine says we are free to leave, so I pick up my tiny mate and start walking out of the pack hospital. It is the middle of the night but there are still a few pack members out and about, giving us curious looks. They greet me kindly and I just nod back, too worried about my mate to formulate a coherent response.

Heading into the pack house, I go up the elevator to the top floor that is solely mine. It was made to house the Alpha and give them room to create and raise their family. Walking into my room, I set Sophia on the bed softly, covering her up with the gray covers. Her golden hair is splayed over the pillow, making her look like a goddess.

I reluctantly leave my mate so I can brush my teeth, heading into the connected bathroom. Finishing as fast as I can, I head back to Sophia and lay down beside her. As if she could sense my presence, she moves closer to me, cuddling into my chest. She sighs deeply, seemingly content.

Wrapping my arms around her, I sniff deeply, inhaling her scent. Cotton candy and flowers. My new favorite smell.

Satisfied with our position, I fall asleep quickly, with nothing but my mate on my mind.