Chapter 4

It's time to leave the ice cream shop and I'm sad I never got to make any friends. My parents were watching me like a hawk, never letting me leave their sight.

Standing up, I hold in my sigh, not letting my parents know of my feelings. The last time I brought it up, they insisted that they were doing what was best for me. I believe them, even if I want something else. They have always been the perfect parents, protecting me from anything that may come my way.

We get into the car, my parents getting in the front seats after making sure I'm buckled. I look back at the mystery girl one last time and see her staring right at me. My heart beats wildly knowing she was looking at me.

Maybe she wants to be my friend?

I keep looking at her until I can't see her any longer. Turning back around to the forest, I see an odd shadow moving beside our car. The shadow soon becomes a clear shape of an animal running.

What animal runs as fast as a car in North Carolina?

I don't have much longer to think before the shape runs right out infront of our car. I scream loudly as my dad puts on the brakes too fast, causing the car to flip.

I close my eyes wishing for it to be over. When the car finally stops rolling, I open my eyes to see that I'm upside down.

Looking to my parents, I see them already looking back at me. "Sweetheart, are you okay?" My dad asks, concern lacing his voice.

I nod shakily, before looking out the window. What I see is something that will haunt my nightmares forever. There are red eyes staring right at me, a low growl coming out of the animal's mouth.

My parents snap their heads towards the sound, gasping when they lay their eyes on the beast. The growl gets louder, rumbling the car we are stuck in. My hands are cut with glass and my head hurts worse than ever before but I can't take my eyes off of the monster that caused us to crash.

It stalks forward, like a predator about to kill its prey, and flips the car over so I'm seated back normally.

I instantly feel better about this position but that's until I see the beast lunge through the broken windshield towards my parents.

Screaming in horror at the sight in front of me, I watch as my dad gets ripped apart viciously. My loving, caring dad gets torn to shreds.

My mom turns to me and says with a shaky voice, "Close your eyes honey, it will be okay."

Following her command, I close my eyes, the image of my dad in pieces burned into my brain. I can feel that my face is wet but I don't know if it's from tears or from blood. Not wanting to think about it any longer, I decide to think about Sparky.

Sparky, who I made a connection with in a matter of minutes. My first friend. Possibly my only friend with how this is turning out.

I'm knocked out of my thoughts when I hear my mom scream. A blood curdling scream that tears at me from the inside. It's like I absorbed her scream and am feeling every emotion heard in it. Opening my eyes without meaning to, I see the beast rip out her throat after shredding her insides.

It's pure torture not being able to save my parents while knowing I'm next. After my mom is silent, the beast turns towards me, an evil glint in its eyes. Like it's enjoying this.

I close my eyes and wait for the blow to come but I feel nothing. Opening my eyes hesitantly, I see something I never would've expected. Another beast is fighting the one who was about to kill me.

I soon realize that one is not a beast, but is my friend.

"Sparky?"