Mirrors

Injured Blueberry~

Injured Blueberry~

A shrouded blue/purple that settles around the mind after a doubtful event occurs. Signifies hesitance to speak the mind, nervousness regarding the future.

 Signifies hesitance to speak the mind, nervousness regarding the future

~

~

~

Yesterday during practice something alarming happened.

While our group was working scissors on pommel horse, another training group was working twisting front layouts. Their coach was getting angry at one boy--a stout youngster from Italy--because he kept stumbling out of his 2.5 twisters. From my spot on pommel I could see the dewy frustration bent under his knees for not landing correctly. His head radiated a dirty brown overlay of doubt. 

But his coach kept pushing him. Even though the Italian clearly wasn't ready to twist another half, his coach demanded him to. The other two males in his group were pulling triples already--so why couldn't he?

While Costa and his coach were on pommel, I was working press handstands on some floor dowels. That's when I heard it.

You see, the floor is a good few meters away from the mirrors lining the walls for safety purposes. While gymnasts still need to see their form in reflections, they can do so at a safe distance. But the Italian landed so off-kilter that his rebound carried him forward at an astounding speed. I didn't see it, but the sound of glass shattering forced me down from my handstand.

Around the gym, everyone stared. A group on bars halted their exercise--even the Peruvian gianting over the bar slowed to a dead hang. A vaulter sprinting down the runway darted off of the long carpet halfway through his approach to the springboard. The parallel bars group was closest to the floor, gasping and guffawing loudly at the scene.

The mirror was shattered lengthwise, a spiderwebbing crack from head to foot. The hapless tumbler had careened directly into the reflective surface, now speckled with shards of glass. His aura was black with fear and pain, shoulder bleeding at the intersection of glass and skin. His coach ran up to him squatting next to the broken mirror, yelling warnings not to move for fear of him getting cut.