Allegiance

Murky Water~

Murky Water~

A distressed shade of green that hovers around insecurity and criticism. Generally lingers after a tough life change or disappointing realization.

 Generally lingers after a tough life change or disappointing realization

~

~

~

"Have you been taking care of yourself?"

I nod my affirmation at the lady in front of me. 

She's one of the gymnasium's medical staff members, meant to check up on all the athletes both mentally and physically. This is my third checkpoint with her at the ending of three weeks. 

The halfway point.

The center of mass on a seesaw. 

All gymnasts here have weighed down one side of this camp, climbed towards the center, and now sit on the in-between sector of the tottering device. The safe point. No falling off here, but no flying. The midpoint of achievement. There's no going back now.

No going back to the days when Costa was a mere devil in my mind. He'll never return to that spot again.

"...hey, did you hear me?"

"Hmm?" I lift my eyes from the chair.

This trainer is unlike any other staff member in this gymnasium. More of a therapist than a health-advisor, the first time I met with her she tried to pry into my thoughts. Not in a bad way of course. In a truly worried way. As if she expects the people at the top to be stuffed full of crumbling mental towers and rotting support beams.

Trainer Snowden opens her mouth, staring hard at me. I dislike these sessions as much as she does. But mental health clearances are needed for all athletes.

I wonder what Costa tells this woman.

"I said, your BMI is down from last week's. And the week before." An observant eye paints my features.