Atrophy

Devil's Charm~

Devil's Charm~

The darkest red auric color. Holds untold levels of power and determination to accomplish certain goals. However, this color can be used for both good and evil...present in both villians and altruists.

present in both villians and altruists

~

~

~

"I don't see how that's fair at all, Kan! Just let me pay my condolences, I swear I won't spend more than five minutes there-"

"No, Jeon." Coach Kan's voice is an icicle through the speaker, a freezing, hopeless end to any possibility of seeing Leonardo. "I thought I made myself clear that you weren't allowed to talk to him anymore. What happened to him was unpleasant-"

"Unpleasant! What happened was awful, something that can never be reversed or undone. He'll never get his mother back, and you describe it as unpleasant? Oh, please Kan, just let me say a few words to him. Leonardo Costa is hardy an evil competitor when he's grieving, can't you see that? I'm not going to him as another training Olympian, I'm going to him as another fucking human being."

Kan is silent on the other line for a few seconds. Trainer Snowden was kind enough to let me use her phone to call Coach Kan, but she said I couldn't use it for long, since she needed to make lots of calls. She said she needed to call the Board to make arrangements for a roundtrip flight for Brazil so Leo can attend his mother's wake in a few days, when his mother's funeral is set to take place.

"No, Jeon. Maybe after the Olympics you can talk with him, but not now. You have to focus on training, and if you are distracted by his problems then it's going to show in your routines. Do not visit him. I'm serious."

I wish I could chuck this fucking phone out the window. Seriously, Kan? What kind of cold, uncaring parents raised you to be so fucking heartless?

"Kan, please..." I try again. "Only five minutes with him-"

"No." Kan's voice is sharp, tinged with disapproval. "If you visit him, count yourself out of a coach to the Olympics. You're either all in or all out, Jeon. You can't play halfway, and I won't tolerate this kind of behavior any longer. I've trained years with you, seen you grow from a child into a world-class athlete. You've always been dedicated to winning, to competing strong...to being the best version of yourself you can be. But lately, you've been veering off that path. You don't have the same determination you had. You don't have the winning spirit in your eyes. I don't know what the fuck happened to YOUR plans, but MY plans haven't changed. I expect you to win at the Olympics. If you visit Leonardo Costa one more time, it's a nail in the coffin. I'll drop the title of your coach after pulling you out of the Olympics."