Cloak-and-Dagger

Tulip Bud~

Tulip Bud~

A light pink of failing love. Shows signs of wear in a place where a relationship once flourished.

 Shows signs of wear in a place where a relationship once flourished

~

~

~

"I need your help."

I pace the empty corridors of the apartment complex basement, hugging the phone tight to my ear. On my sides are narrow hallways meant only for cleaning personnel to travel within. I shouldn't technically be in here, but I am. Since I needed a phone for contacting someone trustworthy, I had to go to certain heights.

Luckily, I caught a janitor cleaning the lobby bathroom of the dormitory. He was nice enough to let me borrow his phone on the way back from practice. If Coach Kan realized the irony of this task, it's that I really DO have janitors that are fans. The guy who lent me this phone knows my name and asked me for an autograph. Kan would be shocked.

"Help? You need my help?" McKayla Maroney seems worried. Her voice grows alarmed once my silence confirms her questions. I really do need help. "With what? Are you okay? Why are you calling from an unknown phone?"

"Yes, I'm alright. I uh, borrowed the phone." I lower my voice, checking behind me for any stray people. No one is there. No one I can see at least. In the dull yellow tunnels of the complex's basement, there are no eavesdroppers to this conversation other than, perhaps, ghosts. "Leo is the one who isn't alright. Leo needs my help."

McKayla hums, clearly perplexed. "Leonardo Costa? I just saw him today. He seemed fine to me. What's wrong with him?"

I unconsciously trace my fingers along the wall, cringing when I feel the tickle of dust on my skin. The paradox of cleaners residing in such an uncleanly place doesn't get past me. I shake my head at the greasy-looking walls, wondering if the janitors trash the basement when they're done beautifying the upper floors. I guess they don't have the same cleaning statues to follow down here.