Choices

Chick Fuzz~

Chick Fuzz~

A dulled yellow of stolen enthusiasm, the beginning of pessimism, and a harbinger for ignorance in handling an upcoming tough situation.

~

~

~

Leonardo hasn't been speaking with me all week.

It has been six days since the McKayla incident, and the only sentence he spoke to me was about borrowing some athletic tape during practice. Other than that, he's been ghosting me, telling me that he's tired whenever I ask to hangout after practice. He's been avoiding me in the locker room, racing to practice before I can walk with him, catching the lone route back to the dorms no matter how fast I take my showers to catch up with him.

And it hurts.

Not only was Leonardo Costa my friend, but I looked forward to our hangouts after practice. I enjoyed the movies, the dumb smiles, the crushed snack bags shoved into my locker. But I ruined it by inviting McKayla over. Even though it's not my fault for liking McKayla, I still feel in the wrong for crushing his dreams. 

His aura nowadays is flaming hot with dulled disappointment and vague jealousy. Instead of once compelling me towards him like it used to, his aura only serves to push me away, to reflect me off like a light beam on a protective mirror. 

He's defending himself from getting hurt by me. But every consecutive day that passes I can see him hurting more and more. I'm starting to think that maybe I'm not the only one at fault for his unhappiness. So it must be his father.

Given the exhibition yesterday, I bet his father is on him constantly. I outperformed him on every event except high bar and the scores were made public for everyone in the Road to London camp. People here are talking about us, speculating how the London Games are going to go. In the hallways, I hear my name tossed around next to 'champion,' 'gold,' and 'first,' but they fail to make me happy.