XVII

George

The moonlight shines at my bedroom window. The deafening silence of the night does not help me to put my mind at peace. I can hear nothing but my heavy sighs.

I stare at my digital clock.

'23:59'

'24:00'

I remember what he texted after we met.

'Let's talk about it after your class.'

"But where is he?" I whisper in the air. I tried to wait for him after class in the parking lot of the campus in my car. But after an hour of him not showing up, I decided to go home.

Sigh.

Maybe he's not yet ready?

"How hard is it to explain?"

Sigh.

"Is he in a Gang? A Mafia? An Assassin? A spy?"

I click my tongue.

What am I saying?

I move my gaze to the plain white ceiling. I'm now lying on my bed. I try to close my eyes and sleep, but I can't. I cover myself with my fluffy blue blanket. Once again, I close my eyes firmly.

"Sleep, George," I whisper to myself.

"Have you ever thought that I might... harm you?"

"Damn it," I whisper through gritted teeth.

I grip my hair in frustration, "Argh! I am safe when I am with you. I know that! I just—" I cover my face with the palm of my hands.

I hear knocks on my front door.

Jared.

I quickly open my eyes. My heart beats fast. I can't contain the emotions I am feeling at this moment, a mixture of shock, excitement, happiness, and anticipation. Quickly, I run downstairs and open the door in a hurry.

It's him.

I am not wrong.

There he is, standing in front of me in his silk gray pajamas.

"Hi," I softly whisper.

"George," he says in his husky voice.

Cold midnight breeze blows from the outside, which touches my skin through the fabric of my white pajamas.