XIX

Jared

"Day off," I speak in my husky voice.

I look around. The darkness eats the four corners of the room. I flip over and groan. I close my eyes and try to sleep again.

"I guess Wednesday is my new favorite day," I mumble with my eyes close.

"Two hearts in one home. It's hard when we argue..."

George's sweet voice rings in my ear. Her soft voice lifts my mood. I slowly open my eyes and sit on my bed while rubbing my eyes. I glance outside the window. It's her. George's silhouette can be seen through her white curtain. She walks around her bedroom while combing her hair.

"Sweet creature, sweet creature. Wherever I go, you bring me home. Sweet creature, sweet creature. Hmmm, hmmm..."

It has been a week. I always hear her sing that song every morning. Her soothing voice acts as my alarm clock for one week straight.

I can be your sweet creature.

I laugh at what I just thought.

"What the... where did that come from?" I mutter.

I stand up and rub my bare chest. Sleepily, I fix my bed and go downstairs. I reach for my red wine.

I clench my jaw. "Where are you hiding, little pup?" I whisper and look outside my kitchen window.

It's almost four months, but I haven't found you yet.

I sniff my drink, "Pig." I frown,

"Can't they provide me with others?"

"Leave the throne—ack."

I close my eyes firmly to distract myself from the thoughts of my responsibilities. Unfortunately, George's humming isn't helping.

"You know the smell of their blood, right?"

I remember Joaquin asked me that question while I'm packing my things.

"Yes, I know," I say and drink the blood straight.

Remembering why I'm here makes me clench my jaw again. I try to calm myself and drink another glass of blood.

"Why should I do that? Why should I hide in the first place!? I thought you'll hide me. I can kill those dogs!" I yelled in frustration.

"Well. As the heir of the kingdom, we should keep you safe. However, you should help us find the Alpha. Dhampir, right?" My father asked with a hint of sarcasm.