Act 3, Scene 2

ACT 3, SCENE 2

Booker carefully moves up to the cab of the truck. Clementine slows down just enough for him to be able to slip inside as they continue to drive through Birmingham. Booker lets out a deep sigh.

BOOKER DARVILLE

I loved that damn truck.

CLEMENTINE SNOW

What's the plan, Book?

Booker purses his lips and then tosses his hands up in the air.

BOOKER DARVILLE

What plan? We're cooked. Without a blocker you can't make it to Atlanta in time, and the police are eventually gonna catch up with you since this was the last vehicle I was seen in... or well... on. Then they're gonna find Trigger and we'll both go to jail. Buford wins.

Booker sits for a moment, defeated. He slams his fist into the dash of the truck. Clementine smacks him in the shoulder.

CLEMENTINE SNOW

Hey, you can be pissed, but don't take it out on my truck!

BOOKER DARVILLE

Clem, It's not gonna be your truck much longer! We're going to jail, both of us. Just like dad. I can't believe I was so stupid, letting Burdette talk me into this.

CLEMENTINE SNOW

Is that it? Is that what you're afraid of, that you'll end up like your dad?

BOOKER DARVILLE

No.

CLEMENTINE SNOW

You're afraid of going to jail?

BOOKER DARVILLE

No!

CLEMENTINE SNOW

Then what is it, Booker?

BOOKER DARVILLE

I'm afraid of not being as good as Grandpa! I'm afraid that just because I'm a devil behind the wheel that everyone expects me to be just like him, and I can't! I'm not Bandit!

CLEMENTINE SNOW

Booker.

BOOKER DARVILLE

I don't want my whole life to be trying to live up to his legacy.

CLEMENTINE SNOW

Then don't make it about that. Just because you drive like him doesn't mean you are him or you have to be like him. He left his legacy, it's his. Now leave yours. You are the Bandit, you're never gonna escape that. Ever. It's literally in your blood, but that doesn't mean that you have to be like Bo. Make it your own, own it. You think I made it this far trucking trying to be like Paw-paw Cletus? No. I've got the name, but I'm nothing like him. You don't have to be Bo Darville to be the Bandit.

Beat.

CLEMENTINE SNOW

Now. We've come over a thousand miles to get this car and bring it back. And we've got just a little over 150 left and three hours. Let's get it done, Bandit.

Clementine holds out her hand, waiting for Booker to take it. He looks it over for a moment before taking hold of it.

BOOKER DARVILLE

Alright, Let's do it to it.

CLEMENTINE SNOW

Ha-Ha, Hell yeah.

BOOKER DARVILLE

They're still gonna try and stop this truck though.

CLEMENTINE SNOW

They'll have to catch us, first.

Clementine puts the hammer down and the truck speeds up as they head out of Birmingham.