Chapter 28

Chapter 28

I yawned in the stream of daylight pouring through my window. It was a lovely sunny day with birds chirping like in Snow White.

Well, maybe not that perfect.

But it was good. The sun peeked over and welcomed me. It was my birthday.

It was a Saturday at 10:36 a.m. Why I didn't sleep in late, I have no clue. My body alarm clock just naturally woke me up. Thanks.

My mom was probably at work already. She had started to go in more because of her promotion-raise-thingy.

I snatched some clothes and put in my contacts. I blinked a few times and finally adjusted from the blurry sight I had to clear vision.

Pulling my hair up in a bun while I walked down the stairs was a task. It sounds easy, but buns can be frustrating.

I heard some rustling in the kitchen and frowned. Was there a burglar here?

So I grabbed the closest thing I could find.

A stapler.

Holding it out in front of me while I walked, I slowly walked to the kitchen and almost had a heart attack when my mom came popping out of the pantry.

"Happy Birthday Ruby!" she screamed and I dropped the stapler on my toe.

"Ow!" I said but my mom didn't notice my throbbing toe.

"My sweet baby's turning seventeen..." She pulled me into a hug and squeezed me until my cheeks were squished against her.

"Thanks mom." I chuckled and she let go.

"I made your favorite blueberry waffles because I know you love them, and there's some fruit salad on the bar if you want some. What else..." she rubbed her chin in thought.

"This is amazing mom. Thank you so much." I hugged her again and started eating.

I always have loved blueberry waffles. They were my absolute favorite breakfast meal. Along with dipping them in some syrup.

"Oh, and you need to go to the park today." My mom said.

I stopped eating. "Why?"

"Oh, just because. I need you to...to...to help the children!" She lied. And I could tell.

"Mom...?" I questioned.

"Don't ask questions, just do." She finalized and went to cutting more pineapple slices.

So I didn't question for the rest of the morning. I thanked my mom for an amazing breakfast and she handed me a neatly wrapped present.

It was flat, and the shape of a rectangle/square. I placed it down on the table and began unwrapping.

She got me a brand new laptop.

"Aww, mom! This is the best!" I hugged her. "You're the best."

I felt her smile and smiled myself. After thanking her a million more times, I climbed back up the stairs and set my laptop on my desk. I would mess with it when I got back from this mysterious park mission my mom had assigned me to.

I changed into some leggings and a dark blue shirt. Slipping on some plain tennis shoes, I said goodbye to my mom and rode my bike to the park.

The air was getting warmer since it was February and I watched in happiness as parents strolled their babies down the sidewalk near the pond.

I sat on a bench and waited for whatever was supposed to happen.

Ruby: am I just supposed to sit here and wait?