Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Ruby's POV

Day after day, minute after minute. I kept walking around and following my daily routine like a zombie.

There was this negative aurora around me at all times. If someone tried to bother me, they would probably end up with a black eye.

It was like I was on my period. It sucked ass.

Spilling everything to Feliciano was a huge mistake. I felt like he would tell Ryder that I missed him, and he definitely didn't need more ego to boost.

"Ruby, mio dolce," he said in Italian, "how are you today?"

"Irritated, Feliciano. Irritated."

"Why? Who do I need to beat up? That stronzo..."

I laughed into the phone. "Nobody Felix. Just one of those days."

"What can I do for the princess?" he asked.

"I wanted to go over to the gym today. Ryder's not there, is he?"

There was a pause. "Nope."

"Felix..."

"Ruby, would I ever lie to you?"

I thought. "Yeah."

He chuckled. "He's not here. You're welcome to come anytime."

"Thanks Felix." I hung up.

Grabbing my bag and changing into some workout clothes, I jogged to the gym.

When I opened the door, it was pitch black. Finding the light switch, I turned it on and gasped.

"What the...?" I trailed off and looked around. All the training equipment was gone and in their places were people.

Like actual real life people that were all staring at me with wide grins.

In the middle of the crowd was a boxing ring and two people.

Ryder and the winner of the championships.

Loud music startled me from the speakers above and I jumped. "Felix!" I yelled. I was going to kill him.

"Tesoro! You made it!" I saw Felix emerge from the now excited crowd. "Ready?"

I stared at him in shock. "Ready for what?"

He chuckled and put his arm around my shoulder, making me look towards Ryder and the ring.

"Ryder's going to fight the winner from the championships." He said.

I stood with my mouth hanging wide open. Why would Ryder do that?

"Ladies and gentlemen!" I suddenly realized that Feliciano had left me and was now speaking into the microphone. "Welcome to the second championship replacement!" he yelled and the whole room erupted with cheers.

"Introducing the newcomer from Ohio, and reigning champion of the 2015 Men's Championships, Hank Trapper!" Felix screamed with another round of cheers and yelling.

"And in this corner, hometown fighter from right here in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania...Ryder Daniels!!!" he screamed louder and there were cheers and whoops and yells.

I clapped softly, still confused why Ryder would do this. He could get himself beat up bad like last time when he fought Ace.

I saw Ryder walk towards Felix who was in the middle of the ring, and whisper something to him.

Felix nodded and handed the dangling microphone to him.

"Hey guys!" Ryder cheered and the room cheered back. "First of all, I just want to say thank you all for joining us in this competition!" the crowd cheered again.

"Secondly," then his eyes traveled to mine and locked, "I want to dedicate this fight for someone special. She deserves so much more than me, and I know I screwed up, but I hope that she can forgive me soon enough."

Some people's head turned my way and others clapped loudly and whistled.

The music started up again and Ryder turned to get ready, but not before shooting me one last smile that made my heart hammer.

Ding ding!

The bell chimed and Ryder and Hank began to circle each other. I pushed my way to the edge of the ring and watched in anticipation.

Hank swung first, but Ryder seemed to see it coming because he stepped sideways and knocked Hank right in the ribs.

The crowd went 'ooh' and 'ahh', but I kept my eyes trained solely on Ryder.

His movements were skilled and much more graceful than the Championships. I kept mouthing "Come on Ryder," over and over to myself, and smiled when he struck again.

Hank unexpectedly swung his leg and made Ryder tumble to the floor, with Hank jumping on him, punching at his face. The room of people cheered, for which one I don't know.

"Come on Ryder!" I yelled, and Felix appeared beside me. He joined in.

Ryder was helplessly blocking. No, he can't lose again.

Right when I thought that Ryder would surely tap out, he moved his arm further up and whacked Hank right in the jaw, making him stumble back for a few seconds.

But Ryder took the distraction and leapt onto him.

I kept cheering for Ryder, and so was about half the gym.

"Ryder, Ryder, Ryder!" the chant went on. I was smiling like a lunatic and cheering.

Hank tried so hard to block Ryder's punches, but couldn't.

Finally, five seconds before the bell signaled the end of the first round, Hank tapped out.

All I could hear was silence. The silence of a hundred people cheering and screaming. Everything was blocked out and the only thing I took notice of was Ryder's hands raised in the air and his eyes looking down at me, smiling.

The world came back into focus again and I screamed with joy.

He won. He actually won.

●●●

HI BEAUTIFUL SUNFISH!!!

There's a bit of confusion going about, and I've had the question "Didn't he go against Ace?" more times than I can count, and I SO SORRY that I didn't clarify this!!

Yes, Ace and Ryder fought, and Ace won, but after Ryder lost, Ace went on to the final round where he lost against Hank Trapper. So therefore, Hank was the winner of the championships.

I hope that clears some confusion up a bit for you guys!!

ALSO!!!! Go give my new book, Almost Lucky a quick look and read if you like! More chapters will be added soon :)