Chapter 9: The Last Roundup

It is currently daytime at Sweet Apple Acres as Applejack could be seen galloping furiously with her hat off. She was currently practicing for the Equestria Rodeo Competition in Canterlot coming up soon with both Apple Bloom and (Y/N) watching her practice.

She is racing along a broad path in the Sweet Apple Acres orchards, toward a hurdle and easily jumps over it. Rounding a turn, she clears a second hurdle, before she comes across one more that was built from two curved poles. Her green eyes narrow above a fierce smile as Applejack barrels toward this, and she licks her lips and hurls herself into a jump with all four legs extended. Time seemed to slow down as Applejack was gliding smoothly over the top pole, except for one of her rear hooves which taps against it for a brief second before coming back to normal speed and Applejack hits the ground and keeps galloping, not even losing a single step in contact.

Apple Bloom and (Y/N) were watching Applejack over from a fence as the filly had Applejack's hat on and she waves enthusiastically to her.

Apple Bloom: Whoo!

Apple Bloom nearly loses her balance on the fence and (Y/N) helps her back as they both continue to cheer for Applejack.

(Y/N): Go Applejack! Give it all you've got!

Applejack turns to both of them for a second and gives them an acknowledging wink. She then grabs a rope that was attached to a hay bale with her teeth and flings it with one good swing as if doing the Olympic hammer throw. It sails away, Applejack shading her eyes with a foreleg to watch, and it lands some distance past a line where two others have fallen in her previous attempts. She crosses her left legs over her right, aiming a self-deprecating glance off to the side.

Apple Bloom cheers so quickly that she knocked her sister hat off of her head.

Apple Bloom: Whoo-hoo! Applejack, you're sure to knock everypony's hat off at the Equestria Rodeo competition!

(Y/N): If there's one pony that I know that's brave, hard-working, and to top it off strong to win the win that Rodeo, it's definitely you Applejack.

Applejack picks up her hat and puts it back on.

Applejack: Aw shucks, you two. I sure hope so.

Apple Bloom: Hope so? I know so! After all, you're the ten-time rodeo champeen of Ponyville! Why, you've got more blue ribbons than anypony in Ponyville ever!

Apple Bloom then gestures to a trophy case filled with blue ribbons and gold medals, mounted on the side of a shed.

Apple Bloom: And I can't wait for my big sis to win every blue ribbon in Equestria and bring home the title of Equestria Rodeo champeen!

(Y/N) then goes up to Applejack and wraps one of his hooves around her while giving her a reassuring smile making her blush.

(Y/N): You've got this, Applejack. Get out and show 'em what you're made of for me!

Applejack grew an even bigger blush at that as she tips her hat down for a second to hide it before making it go away. She then turns back to (Y/N) with a determined look.

Applejack: Don't worry sugarcube, I'm gonna win this Rodeo like bucking everyday apples. For both you and me.

(Y/N) smiles from that.

(Y/N): That's just what I like to hear.

The next day at the town square, Rainbow Dash was hoisting a banner of Applejack up at the town square's main entrance. She looks at her handiwork smugly before she got surprised and ducks just in time to avoid a sudden bolt of lightning that singes the end of her tail. She looks up at the pony responsible for that as it was Derpy Hooves jumping up and down on a thunder cloud cheerfully. Derpy was a Pegasus who had a light sapphire bluish gray coat, a pale, light grayish apple green mane and tail, pale light grayish apple green eyes that were crossed, and her Cutie Mark was two large bubbles surrounded by five smaller ones.