Chapter Five - The Figure

It was in the middle of the night and my only light source was a candle that I found in the house. I was sitting in the middle of my bedroom with my black book in front of me. I tried to once again open it but stopped once I realized it wasn't going to budge.

"Okay... From the books I read on magic and dark magic if I want to get started with it I have to give up something of myself... It must be talking about blood since I don't know what else I could give up from myself." I lift a needle that I stole from Mae sewing kit and stab myself in the finger with it.

I held the finger dripping with blood over my black blood and let my blood fall onto it. My blood landed on the book and I looked at it with focused eyes, waiting for something to happen. I was getting irritated when nothing happened after a few minutes and was going to get off the ground when the candle in front of me went out.

It became completely dark and I could feel something else in the room with me. I couldn't move my body off the ground and I hated myself for feeling scared at the moment. Why am I scared?

"Quen é este triste nena? (Who is this sad child?) Por que me chamaches aquí? (Why did you call me here?)" A voice that didn't sound female or male was calling out to me from all sides. I shouldn't be able to understand them but I could. I could feel myself being held by a dark figure but I still couldn't move my body.

"O nena cheira tanto a odio, sufrimento e anhelo.(The child smells so much of hatred, suffering, and longing.) Por que é iso? (Why is that?)" I could feel a touch on my face that was trailing down like a tear. I could feel tears start to fall out of my eyes when that happened. I could feel the figures surrounding me grow restless when this happened.

"¿Temos medo, nena?( Are we afraid, child?) Non queriamos asustarche. Somos curiosos. (We didn't want to scare you. We are curious.) Temos un forma que é adecuado para vostede, nena (We have a form that is right for you, child.)" The dark figure that I felt around me disappear for a moment before appearing in front of me again. The figure was a humanoid whose gender I couldn't figure out.

It was an adult woman for a second, an adult man the next, a boy who looked to be my age, then a girl who looked to be my age as well, it was then an old man, then finally an old woman. It kept switching between different appearances like it didn't know what it wanted to be.

"Desculpa. Pasou moito tempo desde que falamos cun ser humano. (Sorry. It's been a long time since we've talked to a human being.) non recordamos a última forma que empregamos para os humanos. (We don't remember the last form we used for humans.)" After a few more seconds of them changing forms they just settle on one that appears to be a child my age but their gender couldn't be determined.

"Podemos saber o nome do triste nena? (Can we know the name of the sad child?)" The child-like figure sat in front of me with their hands in front of them. I didn't know if they did that to make me feel safer around them.

"My name is Aurelia Giliam..." I felt a bit proud of my voice for not shaking as I answered this figure in front of me. I still had tears falling from my eyes and my body was still frozen in place with some type of fear but my voice didn't get shaky at all. It was a small win for me.

"Ese non é o teu nome. Non queremos o nome desta nena. Queremos o teu nome. (That's not your name. We don't want this child's name. We want your name.)" I could feel myself stop breathing for a while when they said that. How could they know that?

"...I don't remember what my old name is. All I have now is Aurelia Giliam." Even though I felt nervous knowing that this figure knew I was someone else I didn't try to lie to them. The figure in front of me grew quiet and I couldn't tell what expression they had. I felt myself flinch slightly when the figure raised a hand to my face once more.