Chapter Eleven - The Prince With The Mask

It seems luck was not on my side when Merrill decided to ask his parents if he could visit me once a month and stay at my home for a week. I really wanted to refuse but my 'father' ignored what I wanted and told me to simply behave nicely.

I hated that no matter how harsh and cold I was to Merrill he kept coming back for more and waiting for me to say something else to him. He was simply a person who couldn't be dealt with by using harsh words. I never thought I would actually prefer Eli over the other two troublesome love interests.

Eli and Merrill seem to have a really tense relationship as well, from what I could see from their interactions with each other. Sybil and him didn't get along either. I really didn't know why they didn't like him but it really wasn't something I would worry about.

I was having a lesson with my tutor one day when he brought up something that caught my interest.

"There is a meeting between people who are really interested in magic that is happening in a week. Seeing how much you enjoy learning about magic I got an invitation for you to go. I think you will be able to find more information on magic during the meeting if you talk to the right person." My tutor handed me a letter that I held with both hands. I could feel my lips about to break out into a smile but I forced myself not to do that and only stiffly nodded my head.

"Jeez, what a serious expression. I am worried about your personality when you get older. If you are happy then show that you are happy. Who is going to judge you for that?" My tutor pulled at my cheek with a frown on his face and I tried not to show any reaction to the slight pain I felt on my cheek.

"...If I show the wrong people a reaction it could be used against me. I have to keep an indifferent expression no matter what." Aurelia wasn't someone who had a lot of people on her side. Her servants were with her but you never know if they will leave or turn against her. It is a sad thought to have but the world that we live in is like that. You can never know if you can truly trust someone.

"You are too young to be thinking like that. Now let's go back to the lesson." My tutor had a look in his eyes that disappeared before I could really understand what it was. It was probably something against me or whatever.

As I was getting ready for the meeting for people interested in magic I was practicing with my magic and getting even stronger with my spells. I only knew three spells so far but I knew if I kept practicing I could learn more soon.

I was really getting into the one spell that allowed me to make a shadow servant who could go into the shadow of a person I either picture in my head or say their name. It at first could only hear what is happening and briefly affect the area around them but since I was getting stronger with my magic they could now increase the number of people I could spy on and freeze their shadow for one minute.

This could actually be helpful with the other spells that allow me to go anywhere with a dark area. I just needed to figure out a way to combine them smartly. I wasn't really doing too much with the spell that allowed me to look into a person's deepest fear and doubt. Whenever I did that the voice would come back and try to make me lose control so that spell was something I could only use during a specific situation.

It was finally the day of the meeting for people who were interested in magic and the background surrounding it. Mae was helping me get dressed for the event. She was doing final touches on my hair, making sure it was extra curly today.

"You look simply perfect with curly hair. It just makes you look extra cute, Aurelia." Mae put on a headband that had a single daisy on it. I felt my heart get warm at Mae's compliment. She always knew what to say to make me feel happy.