country boy | static major

New York City, New YorkApollo TheaterMay 22, 19959:00pm

Apollo Theater
May 22, 1995
9:00pm

You glanced down at your watch while you yawned as the boys from Jodeci headed backstage for a brief intermission.

You and your friends, Ashley and Yara, have only been at this concert for about an hour and a half, and you were just about ready to head home to your bed.

It's not that you were bored, you were actually a huge fan of the group and you were most definitely enjoying hearing all of your favourite songs throughout the night. But you had been up since 6am this morning, and only had about 20 minutes to rest after work before getting ready to come out with your girls.

"Girl, you better quit all that yawning shit. The night ain't even close to being over. We going out for drinks after this!" Yara exclaimed.

Ashley chuckled and shook her head. "Hopefully she'll stay awake if they don't get another boring act to sing for us during these little breaks. That 'Sista' group was tight, but the other one was like listening to a fucking lullaby." She scoffed.

"With that damn whisper singing." Yara added, agreeing with Ashley. "What was their name again? Spicy or whatever."

You snickered and looked over at her. "Sugah." You corrected. "With an 'H' at the end." You said as you mimicked one of the girls from the group who wouldn't let the audience forget how to spell their group name when they introduced themselves earlier.

Jodeci had this musical collective called 'Da Bassment', that DeVanté Swing put together and was mentoring, come to the concert tonight to perform and keep the audience entertained while the boys were changing outfits. It seemed to be a great way to give the artists some exposure. So far, they were all pretty good and extremely talented. Well, all except one group, according to your two crazy friends.

"Aye, wassup Apollo!" A voice on the mic interrupted you and your friends. You watched a slightly chubby male walk onto the stage with four other men following in his tracks.

You examined all five men, but one of them, with a big beautiful smile that warmed your entire heart, caught your undivided attention. You kept your eye on him while the chubby guy introduced themselves.

Timbaland, Magoo, and a group named 'Playa' is what they all went by.

The man who you've been eyeing since they got on stage brought his mic up to his mouth and stepped forward. "Wassup, y'all?! This is Static, comin' at chu one mo'gain. This join right hurr is called 'B-Funk', representin' fa' dat real Bassment sound, y'feel me?"