A New Studio

'and suddenly you just know it's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings'

*****

Ciara Bird

Bleary-eyed, I went downstairs after my last shower, the house was empty, even the furniture had gone. It was weird seeing the apartment that was once filled with things, completely naked and bare.

'I don't like the fact that this is our last morning waking up to this room' Savannah appears in her doorway, leaning against the doorframe, her hair in a messy bun but still looking gorgeous as ever.

'I know...It's like...I don't know...' I couldn't find words for what this was like for both of us.

For me, I was moving all the way to California from Townsville. Yet Savannah is moving 2 streets away into our new apartment without me, for the first 4 months at least.

'You're rarely speechless, you usually never shut up...I'm gonna miss that' Savannah mumbles before walking over to me, wrapping her faked tanned arms around my neck.

Her natural raspberry scent drifted into my nose as I held her tight, hoping she was going to ok without me for 4 months. We were both very eager to move in together once we graduated, me wanting to get away from my mentally abusive mother and her just wanting to independent from her grandparents that had taken care of her since she was 3.

Her parents were young parents and clearly not ready for the responsibility of a child, they quickly turned to drugs and alcohol and then were quickly sent away to rehab centres. But even 17 years later, they still haven't been released. Of course, Savannah loved her grandparents but it got to a point where she was finally ready to move out and be independent.

'You gonna be ok without me?' I chuckle into her shoulder before she nods and pulls away from the hug, still holding my forearms.

'Are you gonna be ok without me?'  she asks back, giving me the eyes and I sighed.

I knew she wasn't just asking if I was going to get homesick, it was more than that. But I had been recovered for almost 6 months and I'm sure I'll be ok for the next 4.  'I'll be fine. Trust me. I'll call you if things take a turn. Good or bad' I give her a reassuring smile and she nods, but I could tell she still didn't fully trust my answer.

'Come on bird, let's get you off and away' she shakes my arms, grabbing one of two of my suitcases and opens the door.

'Wow, you're really dying to get me out of here, aren't you?' I chuckle, grabbing my other pale pink suitcase and following her out of the apartment door.

I had been attending a local university in Australia where I was studying a major in Music and when they announced the experience of working at a Columbia Records recording studio in California for 4 months, I jumped at the chance, going to the administration's office straight after my English class.

I was signed up and ready in less than 2 months and it was a coincidence that Savannah and I's 2-year lease for our apartment was up and we were looking for a new place. I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to be doing at Sony recording studios but anything, where I would be surrounded by amazing musicians, was going to be worth the 4 months apart from my best friend.

It was only a 10-minute drive to the airport where Savannah pulled into the international terminal and stopped the car in synchronization of my own heart dropping. This was actually happening.

'Alright, you have your gate number?' I nod as she turns the ignition off and gets out of the driver's seat after looking for oncoming cars driving past our car. 'You have your ticket?' I nod again as I close the passenger door and swing my leather backpack over my shoulder. 'You got your-'